Discussion in 'Newsstand' started by uggboy, Apr 28, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stranded in the Bahamas: luxury Fyre festival turns to 'chaos'

and this info...

Please see:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/apr/28/bahamas-drama-luxury-fyre-festival-turns-into-chaos

Cheers & Safe Travels. :)

WilliamQ likes this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Tickets cost up to $12,780 for music event endorsed by influencers...." The last three words quoted are all you need to know. Vapid people being influenced by vapid "influencers" To quote from a Forbes article "As Vanity Fair put it 'The Festival Built on Instagram, Dies by Instagram' and that's about right for the affluent attendees many of whom bought tickets because 'influencers' and celebrities endorsed the event with little checking." Who are these "affluent attendees"? Clearly there is a sucker born every minute.

3. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    The meal looks....... :confused:

upload_2017-5-9_8-4-9.png

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I were someone who bought tickets to this event I'd be reporting every "influencer" who promoted this event to the FTC for advertising the event with out disclosing it was a paid (or free ticket paid) advertisement. I'd expect the event company is a dead dog but the "influencers" should be held responsible for promoting the dead dog and not disclosing that they were paid. I'd assume these "influencers" are basically one big set of paid content but they are acting like its natural and not disclosing how everything they do is for money (or more publicity).

Just this week the FTC went after major companies, Adidas, Puma etc for using influencers for advertising and not disclosing prominently that they were paid ads:
    https://www.mediapost.com/publicati...uma-and-dunkin-donuts-among-companies-co.html

WilliamQ and Sweet Willie like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    WilliamQ and Sweet Willie like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    had read that article, really hoping this action dampens use of influencers &/or the willingness of influencers to endorse.
    similar to provel cheese which is served on a lot of St Louis pizza. Yuck.

iolaire and WilliamQ like this.