Stranded in Israel

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by jgg630, Jul 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have a friend, her daughter and 3 grandchildren under 5 traveling in Israel. Don't even get me started on how questionable this was but they were to fly back to US Wednesday but now flights have been canceled. Does anybody have an alternative? Maybe train to somewhere else to fly home? Thanks in advance.

2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd have them contact the US local embassy or consulate in addition to the airline. This probably will be a fairly common question and I’d guess the US local embassy or consulate will (quickly) be quite versed in the options.

3. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They registered with state department when things started getting bad last week. They have not been contacted or able to contact them today.

Thank you, though.

uggboy, Newscience and iolaire like this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure, if this thing goes on for any length of time, they'll set up surface transportation to somewhere --- possibly a ferry to Crete.

Not fun for anyone involved.

DTWBOB

uggboy and iolaire like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have they asked the airline they were booked on to be rebooked on another carrier that hasn't canceled their flights yet? E.g., El Al.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jordan might be another option.

Newscience and mht_flyer like this.
  7. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The TLV Wiki Page is a good place to start looking for alternative airlines that may be operating. (EL Al, EgyptAir, Royal Jordanian).

Look like it was updated to show airliners that have been suspended and ones that haven't (Though it shows BA as not being suspended and that doesn't seem right).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Gurion_Airport

uggboy and iolaire like this.
  8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't let either the US embassy or the originally-booked air carrier off the hook, and would be very persistent in contacting them for a resolution. Your friends could fly home using El Al or Royal Jordanian. That aside, as suggested by Milepointers above, they could either walk across the King Hussein bridge to Jordan or fly to Amman from Tel Aviv via Royal Jordanian airlines. There are direct flights from Amman to various cities in the US via RJ. FWIW, RJ is a member of the One World airline alliance.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on if you care more about getting home than forcing someone else to help you. The embassy is not obligated to assist or provide transportation. They might choose to but those evacuated are expected to pay for such when it happens. Also, short of refunding the original purchase - something which can happen after the fact - the original airline is not obligated to provide anything.

Supposedly UA has a "charter" flight leaving tonight and taking pretty much everyone from the company still there out. If the OP can get through to them and get seats on that it might work. Or it might already be gone.

10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    That looks to be accurate (not that I doubt you), this is the wording as of yesterday, note statement at start re airport was open at that time:
    http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/israel-travel-warning.html
    Ben Gurion Airport is currently open and commercial flights are operating normally, although delays and cancellations can occur. Travelers should check with their airline prior to their planned travel to verify the flight schedule. U.S. citizens seeking to depart Israel or the West Bank are responsible for making their own travel arrangements.

We are not evacuating U.S. citizens out of Israel. U.S. government-facilitated evacuations occur only when no safe commercial alternatives exist. Evacuation assistance is provided on a cost-recovery basis, which means the traveler must reimburse the U.S. government for travel costs. The lack of a valid U.S. passport may hinder U.S. citizens' ability to depart the country and may slow the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General's ability to provide assistance.

uggboy, Counsellor, Flyer1976 and 4 others like this.
  11. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the goal is to get home, then just book the next flight to Europe, then ask the original airline to book them home from there. I wouldn't bother with bureaucrats at either the Embassy or the airlines until I was safely in a country where US Airlines are still operating flights.

12. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the 3 grandchildren under 5 adds complexity to the problem.
    There had been a lot of suggestions and I just hope they can get out safely.
    It would help if they bought travel insurance for the trip before all those escalated attacks

uggboy likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not many insurance policies cover acts of war. Good luck with that.

Flyer1976, MX, Counsellor and 2 others like this.
  14. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    In absence of the name of the airline, it is difficult to give concrete suggestions. In 2012 November, a similar situation; even there was no disruption of air traffic; I managed to have AF, let me fly out of Amman instead (they must have sold the TLV seat at a premium, while AMM-CDG was lightly loaded)

Contacting the Airline which cancelled the flight is the first step.

iolaire, WilliamQ, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  15. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! They may be able to transfer your ticket to a carrier that is still flying. Even if they can't, the fact that you contacted them with a request for help could help you if you take other transportation and ask for a refund of the original ticket.

16. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Latest news is they were booked on El Al which should have left Israel 1 hour ago. I appreciate everyone's help and hopefully everything goes well with the flight.

17. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lucky to get any flight I'd say. I'm sure many others are scrambling to get home. I know you can take the ferry to Cyprus and on to Athens. As long as you can get out of a country in this situation you should be able to find a nearby large airport. Then I'd make the carrier book you out from there. I don't think you can take the train to Europe anymore with the Syrian war issues.

WilliamQ likes this.
  18. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am sure they should now be fine but let us know how it went, especially if they had to cough out additional out of pocket expenses. Best of luck.

Newscience and Counsellor like this.
  19. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just learned that they have safely made it to Paris. I will fill you in when they get back to states.

20. howtofreetravel

howtofreetravel Active Member

Status Points:
    Being stranded in israel is way better then being stranded in some other countries