Store credit gift card earn miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by bhoy, May 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bhoy

bhoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Made a furniture return to a store and they issued me store credit on a card. I've looked at a few of the shopping portals and don't see a restriction on this pay method, but curious if anyone knows if I can gain miles going through a shopping portal paying like this?

Thanks in advance.

jetsetboy likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Store credit isn't very desirable in most situations. Since the store is keeping your money and there is no refund to your credit card (is this what you mean? "store credit on a card" confuses me), I would guess that you can keep the miles. However, this isn't wise as a general way to earn miles.

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  3. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like MSP, I'm a little confused about what you got from the store. It sounds like a store gift card, which would only be good at the store. Or did they give you a Visa/MC/Amex-branded card?

4. Jeanne23

Jeanne23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Store credit is usually done just like a gift card. I've heard of people using gift cards on the shopping portals with luck (and sometimes buying gift cards on the portal and then using them through the portal) but there's no guarantee and YMMV.

5. bhoy

bhoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My apologies for the confusion. We purchased a sofa online via the stores website. We ended up returning the sofa, but for some reason they would only issue me credit for the store, not refund my card. That said, they mailed me a store branded card which they say can be used in-store, over the phone or on their website. Has a number and a code that I need to enter online. Not a Visa, MC, etc, but a card issued by the store that states 'store credit', not 'gift card' or the like. So I am not trying to game the system or anything (would have preferred the money going back on the card), just curious if I should expect miles from the use of the card or not.

Thanks again.

jetsetboy likes this.
  6. Jeanne23

Jeanne23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it is still processed on most websites as a gift card, so your chances are decent of it giving you miles (but really depends on the success of previous people in getting miles from giftcard use)

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the refund policy of many merchants.

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's an interesting situation though... you purchased the item, but you returned it. But at the end of the day you didn't get a refund, you got a credit for the same store. I would expect that since the original purchase was never voided you would get the miles/points for it.

Of course the store credit will not net you a double portion of miles though, unfortunately. :)

But I'd keep an eye on my account just in case. If the miles don't post -- or they do and then get pulled -- you might be in for a fight with the store.

9. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your miles are worth roughly 1% of the purchase price. The store credit you received may be worth something in the future, if the store is reputable and you find something of interest to buy there. For now, we can't assume a solid value to your store credit.

So basically you just lost up to 99% of your purchase price, and you're worried about the 1%?!? I suggest you change your priorities.

10. bhoy

bhoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't lose 99% of my purchase and I am not worried about 1% of it either. The store is reputable and my wife will have no problem spending the card there. Nor am I trying to attach a solid value to the store credit. Apparently you are just looking to jump on someone for a question that you didn't fully read. My question actually wasn't about the original miles I got when making the original purchase, I don't know if they will pull those miles back or not, but regardless I didn't make this purchase or make any purchase strictly for miles. I am not that deeply into the miles game. I am simply asking if miles CAN be gained when I make the NEW purchases with the store credit from the store. No lost value, no store scam, no priorities needing realignment. Just a simple, does anyone know the answer to this for a situation like this??

Thanks to all who replied and tried to be helpful. It's appreciated.

11. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    [quote="bhoy, post: 1411814, member: 49066"I don't know if they will pull those miles back or not[/quote]
    The bank that awarded you the miles will not pull them back, because your charge was not refunded. The bank will not care if you received a couch or a store credit for that expense.

12. bhoy

bhoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The bank that awarded you the miles will not pull them back, because your charge was not refunded. The bank will not care if you received a couch or a store credit for that expense.[/quote]

M7VO, for some reason you've got the impression that I am lacking in mental capacity, I can assure you, I am not. I understand that the CC/bank will not pull the miles back, the charge is clearly on my card. If you read this threat it is quite clear I am talking about miles gained through the shopping portal, not from my CC spend.

13. Redhead

Redhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, you will not earn miles when you use the store credit. Your mileage credit card will not be involved in any way so you will not earn additional miles

14. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, I think I understand your question now, bhoy. Are you thinking of going online and doing some shopping at the store website via a mileage portal? If so, I think you can get miles, but it may vary by which portal you want to use.

If you're willing to post which store and shopping portal you want to use, somebody will probably know the answer.