Stopovers and other dumb newb questions. :)

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by boondr, Feb 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the thread title this might be redundant but I've never traveled on Amtrak and have a few questions. Are there still GR sign-up bonuses available through referrals?

I have a bounty of Chase UR points and would like to book a family trip on Amtrak. Are <24hr stopovers allowed in one city enroute to another or are separate rewards required if you don't take the most efficient routings offered?

How hard are Roomettes/Bedrooms to book on Amtrak GR points? I can''t even seem to find availibilty for paid travel.

2. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    To google it is I suppose

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm 99% certain that stopovers are not permitted. And that's anything other than the most direct train possible. I believe this applies to both reward and revenue tickets.

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a 500 point enrollment bouus if you travel within 90 days of signup.
    This is also a 12,000 point bonus with the Amtrak Guest Rewards Master Card, must spend $500 with the first three months.
    Grab 100 points for connecting with Facebook.

I have seen the same availability issue with roomettes, not sure how far in advance you need to books these. :eek:

5. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Via my google search I found the following, which seems to indicate stopovers of less than 24hrs will price the same as the most efficient routing if you use the multicity feature. Of course it is only one source but it does seem to be a knowledgable one.

http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html#Amtrak Travel Tips