Stopover "trigger" for domestic connections on international itineraries

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Ed Chandler, May 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, all

Just confirming in case I've got this wrong.

The stopover trigger on an AA or OW award is 24 hours (even on the domestic connections) if the itinerary includes international endpoints.

Example: ORD -> SEA -> PEK

Do I get 4 hours or 24 hours to connect in SEA?

Thanks.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I do not believe the 24 hour rules converts to the domestic portions of your itinerary simply because you are on an international itinerary.

So four hours I believe, unless there are no connecting flights available within that time frame. Then you have 24 hours to take the next scheduled flight. (Last in/first out)

Edited to Add: See corrections below.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really?

If so I believe AA would be the only carrier to have that interpretation of the rule. :eek:

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I could very well be wrong, it's been a long time since I redeemed for a normal partner award.

If he was headed to PEK or another international city from SEA I think the 24 hours would work, but connecting in SEA to another domestic city I thought it was the 4 hour rule.

5. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was asking. I'm not connecting to another domestic city; there is only one domestic connection.
    Sorry if it was unclear. My example was:
    ORD -> SEA (23:59 permitted) SEA -> PEK

Your interpretation seems to imply the following:
    MIA -> DFW (3:59 permitted) DFW -> SEA (23:59 permitted) SEA -> PEK

Seth, it seems like you're confident that the trigger is, indeed, 23:59. Is that right?

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did some poking around since I posted and I am siding with Seth on this and believe I misremembered and you do indeed have under 24 hours to connect. I have priced several itineraries on AA.com with longer than 4 hour domestic connections just fine. I must have gotten foggy on that issue since I haven't redeem a normal award in .... ever. :)

That being said, there are no AA partners that fly SEA-PEK or SEA-Asia as far as I can remembrer, so you will need to do another connection. I'm not sure how you are planning on getting SEA-PEK without connecting domestically unless you're doing so in YVR?

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It was just an example. I wanted to make sure I had the rules right before I started poking around.

I'll hit you up for suggestions if I hit a brick wall, but I want to give this a go on my own first.

Thanks, guys.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not specifically confident based on understanding the AA rules, but generally speaking the rules for international itineraries have, IME, allowed 24 hour connections at all points along the way. UA has a strange 12 hour rule for Canada but that's the only exception I'm actually aware of.

9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have definitely done 23 hour connections at U.S. connecting points on UA intercontinental itineraries. I believe the strange 12 hour rule may apply for Mexico as well as Canada.

10. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    The 24-hour rule applies to all points in the itinerary.

newbluesea likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA COC:
    The AA COC contains nothing on Intl stopover!!!

UA COC:

12. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 24-hour rule for stopovers on international journeys creates an odd edge case where if each service is operated once daily but the connecting flights leaves within the MCT of the flight arrival. Then it's not a legal connection for direct connection, and not a legal stopover the same flight the next day. There are some instances of this in UA's international system in places like HKG. Don't quote me on this, but I think HKG-SIN leaves shortly after GUM-HKG arrives, so the only connection choices are <MCT or >24 hours