Stop Flying UA for Miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by rhsiao, Jan 18, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. rhsiao

rhsiao Member

Status Points:
    Stop flying United (UA) !!!

If you are flying to gain miles. This UA frequent flying program stinks ! After flying for over 20 years with them, not only they stop honor the top tier (premiere 1K). They are actually downgrade the program. I call it being robbery !! Whoever the Marketing VP should be fired !!

Richard Hsiao

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your point of view.
    FYI My view is different.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 1K program still exists.

As for flying to earn miles, the shift to a revenue-based program happened a little while ago. It sucks for some and is great for others. I'm pretty sure I can bet which camp you're in.

4. rhsiao

rhsiao Member

Status Points:

5. rhsiao

rhsiao Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what is so great about for any person with revenue base except for UA itself!! UA cannot arbitrary change the frequent flying program, especially regarding to premier 1K with more than 2.8 million + flight miles already !

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you're flying on expensive tickets you'd probably feel oterwise.

Sure it can. It does all the time. And you agreed to allow that behavior when you joined.

Are there specific changes that are bothering you, other than the shift to 11x $$ earning on your tickets? Most of the recent changes to 1K have been positive, not cuts.

7. rhsiao

rhsiao Member

Status Points:
    This is the most ridicules change. Premier 1K class was designed to award customers flying 100000 miles over one year period, that is 1K stands for !!! are you with the UA airline person?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I know what it stands for.

I also know that as a 1K you still earn far more points than a general member for your flights. Actually it is 120% more now, not the 100% it used to be. The difference is in how they calculate the base number. It is also somewhat surprising that as a long-time 1K you had no idea of this change, which was formally announced in 2014 and which was telegraphed well before then.

This wasn't a cut to the 1K program. It was a change to the overall program but hardly a direct dig at 1Ks.

Nope.

9. rhsiao

rhsiao Member

Status Points:
    Good luck with your continue support for the UA frequent flyer program. For me this is it !!! A program cannot be trusted

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What support for it? I significantly cut my UA flying a couple years ago when this change was announced.

11. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm afraid you'll find that American and Delta have done the same thing (gone to revenue basing and away from just distance). Even some international (non-US) carriers use a system of varying the number of status miles credited on the fare basis of the ticket, e.g., Lufthansa only gives partial status mileage credit for lower fare basis flights, and Flying Blue (KLM/Air France) does as well.

If you find a major carrier that still gives status based solely on distance, please let us know, but I think the "mileage run" is nearly extinct.

Flying Machine likes this.
  12. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    What change are you noticing? There hasn't been any substantial changes to the elite scheme in 3 program years.

Flying Machine likes this.
  13. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    None of them can be trusted. They gained their 'status' with contributions to Hillary's global initiative.

Cu
    ROFL. Are you the UA airline Person here on the Internet ?

This is by far the greatest thing about America the past 8 years, mostly the past 4.

Where it literally became not so much "taboo" but actually out of fashion for anybody to play for their OWN team.

Good for you Seth. You already contribute so much for free if people would be willing to look.

Now the guy's on here asking you if you can fix HIS problem. ROFL

I really hate to group people up because it's not fair to the individual players. Every group has real stars. But this Gen of skank bots is way more entertaining than their 80's counterparts. ( 90's were just dark and suicidal lol)

Don't work for the airlines or government either.

Have suggested in the past that you might want to examine the folks you have trusted with those positions but since it's all been Clinton graft since 1992 , it's just occurring to these folks "Houston we have a PROBLEM, a serious PROBLEM "

14. PaulOnion

PaulOnion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone paying attention knows the "what", but as always the most hated question that doesn't matter .... "why?"

It is kind of an anti capitalist thing to do. We don't want to be seen as wanting your money.

Is what it is.

Like I've said before I think the whole thing has to do with the decision a few years back where they told the major players they had to give Sabre, Travelport, etc access.

So what it's become is just like a salty greyhound operation. What's your problem? The 56 Trolley will be here at 8 AM just like it has been for the past few years.

Got a problem wit dat? Call your congressman. ( Btw we're union and think all your politicians are blowhard monkey mechanics, thanks for calling today)

15. Mrp Alert

Mrp Alert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Alaska Airlines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you already have 2.8 million miles, fly 200,000 more and you are guaranteed 1k for life. You are not very far from that at this point.

Flying Machine and Counsellor like this.
  17. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even though I earn less RDM's on UA. The PQM's are the same so I'm okay with that.. For those whom purchase low coast fares (myself included) it does take away from the old system of actual lineage plus a premier bonus (those were the days) :)

Counsellor likes this.
  18. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the PQM are greater since 1 Jan 2016 in Business and First (200% of actual flight miles in Business and 300% in First; before that it was 150% PQM in Business and First) so for PQM purposes it's an even better deal now.

19. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not an advocate of the change to the revenue based frequent flyer program method of the major big 3 US carriers which Delta started and United then copied.

Since you have 2.8 million lifetime United miles, it would behoove you to earn an additional 200K lifetime flight miles on United. This would qualify you as 1K lifetime status(United 3 Million Miler), and you would then receive the deposit of United GPUs annually.

20. rseverino

rseverino New Member

Status Points:
    For 1K fliers it's still okay - 1K fliers flying short distance flights get a benefit from the revenue based program but are penalized for long flights with low price seats in economy SF to LA for $100 gets you 1,100 miles instead of 750 ; however 6,000 mile flight for $600 only gets you 6,600 instead of 9,000
    If you are not a 1K or fly on Star Alliance partners the revenue based program makes it very difficult to earn miles.

gottagoflying likes this.
  21. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It pays to read and understand the rules. Failure to do that can lead to authoring silly uninformed rants.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  22. DCBob

DCBob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Richard, I am still happy with UA and will continue to fly them. You should stop flying UA if you are unhappy. Also, I'm not trying to criticize you, but your English writing ability is poor and I have trouble understanding you. I suggest you ask a friend to proofread your posts before sending them.

23. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What airline should we fly instead?

To what frequent flyer program should we credit instead?