Stonkingly good NZ wine deals

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by ThatJohn, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm fairly certain that there are a number of wine fans around here, and nobody likes an insider bargain like Milepointers, right? So I thought a thread on little-known or otherwise low-profile wine deals might be useful.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that we post everything that GrabOneBottle is selling on a daily basis. However, when they have something superlative (like the Moana Park Gewürz they were selling for under $10 a bottle last month), go for it.

I'll start! I happen to be sipping on a glass of Seven Canoes 2008 Central Otago Pinot Noir, which Advintage has for $12.99 a bottle when bought by the case. (Of twelve, obviously; what is this "case of six" nonsense?) Advintage is also doing a freight-free February for mainland NZ. I received my case within 36 hours of ordering, and have been pleased with Advintage's

The wine's an export brand from Craggy Range's sub-brand Wild Rock, and scuttlebutt on Twitter is that the cancelled export order was because the UK orderer went bust. So, big sad face :( for the producer, but big happy face :D for the in-the-know drinker.

I'm finding it a very good example of a Pinot from an 'off' year. It's no jammy 2007, but it's an excellent example of a Pinot with more body and length than many, and certainly worth at least $15-20 more a bottle than it's going for. I'm particularly taken with the delightful aftertaste.

(I should point out that I have no affilation with Advintage other than being their Twitter friend. ;))

Extra tip: they also have the Kemblefield 2007 Hawke's Bay Zinfandel, and being the son of a sometime Californian I'm partial to a drop of Zin. $17.99 per bottle by the case.

kiwi likes this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good idea. The past couple of years there have been some outstanding deals in the supermarkets (believe it or not) following large export order cancellations. I haven't seen any similar lately - perhaps I'm now visiting the wrong chain?

3. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    New World Thorndon is my go-to supermarket for wine. I find their selection and deals to be better, wider and cheaper than the other New Worlds about town, and significantly better than other chains.

kiwi likes this.
  4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip.

5. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points: