Stonehendge

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by TUMD, Apr 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have any suggestions on the best (cost/time) way to get Stonehenge from London? I would like to take a day trip there while in London next month.

USAIRSBY, uggboy and gregm like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like fun. Enjoy!

USAIRSBY, TUMD and uggboy like this.
  3. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I was in London several years ago (maybe 5 or 6?) I booked a day tour that did Windsor, Stonehenge, and Bath. I don't remember who I booked with, but it was quite reasonably priced. You don't need a lot of time at Stonehenge. I think our tour was there for an hour - which is plenty of time - with most of the time that day spent in Bath.

Hope this helps.

TUMD, uggboy, gregm and 1 other person like this.
  4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Years ago we drove a rental car to the area around Stonehenge for a short two or three day trip, and agree with Ella that the surrounding area merits more time then just seeing Stonehenge. If you do have more then just one day, Bath and several small towns nearby are very interesting, so much so that we spent an extra overnight in Bath to take in all there was to see.

I think there are both bus and train trips to that area for sightseeing, but you may have to visit a tourist information booth in London when you arrive, or check on one of the UK websites where you might find more information on tours and booking.

TUMD likes this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going in May.

My hotel booked a private car and driver for me. There is one (or maybe two) licensed operators that can still get you "inside the rocks." We are going with one of them.

We are going for sunrise...which means a 3:50am departure from London...but so be it. Off to Windsor thereafter.

Cost was non-trivial...but worth it we decided.

6. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked a bus tour from the main train station. Comfortable and economical. You won't need too much time there as you are permitted only to go around the structure.

7. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    We used Premium Tours for a small group private tour of Stonehenge in summer 2012.

They are one of the authorized tour companies are allowed inside the inner circle of Stonehenge.

However, be sure to choose from either the Sunrise or Sunset private tour, as despite the other Stonehenge tours listed on Premium Tours website, these 2 are the only ones that the company offers that allows access to inside the circle. You'll get about a hour, and if you choose the ones that show inner circle access--- the sunrise or sunset one, you get access inside the circle of Stonehenge. My wife and I [and the entire small group] were allowed to go into the dead center of the circle.

As other's have said, a hour is plenty of time to tour Stonehenge. The tour includes a trip to Lacock and Bath.

We had the most fantastic guide by the name of David, who did a splendid job. There are other tour guides that work for Premium Tours, but other reviews of the tour on Tripadvisor confirm out sentiments: he is all around fantastic.

These are the two tours with access with inner circle access:

http://www.premiumtours.co.uk/tours...te-viewing-at-sunrise----new-dates.id287.html
    http://www.premiumtours.co.uk/tours...our-of-stonehenge---new-dates-2014.id288.html

Note: The dates on which these tours that allow inner circle access operate are very limited!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    TUMD, Flyer1976 and uggboy like this.
  8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like others I suggest including Bath in your day. For an economical way to do so, take a morning train to Bath, then you can use one the the local tour companies to see Stonehenge in the morning and take in Bath in the afternoon. Loads to see there, as Bath is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Walk around the gorgeous Georgian town, see the Baths, have afternoon tea in the Pump Room, have a pint in one of the lovely pubs, maybe have dinner... Then grab an evening train back to London.

There are plenty of tour companies in Bath running Stonehenge excursions. I used this one a few years ago and enjoyed the trip.

Enjoy your time, and don't forget to file a Trip Report!

Max M, blackjack-21, ella and 2 others like this.
  9. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds perfect but pricey. I looked at the calender and the day they have open is of course the day after we leave for Paris. Did you say there was another company that did these tours?

USAIRSBY and YULtide like this.
  10. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like a really good idea. I had not thought of taking a train to Bath and going from there!

USAIRSBY, YULtide and blackjack-21 like this.
  11. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYBanker speculated that there were potentially two companies allowed inside the inner circle. I said that Premium Tours was one of the companies allowed; I had heard the same thing NYBanker did that there were a limited number of companies allowed inside the inner circle of Stonehenge.I am unsure of any other company that offers inner circle access.

It is pricey, but in my book was well worth it.

If you're going to Stonehenge, to me the main point is to get inside the inner circle.

But others will be satisfied with just seeing Stonehenge from the general access area.

There are guards from English Heritage that regulate access into the inner circle. While our group was allowed inside, people that rented a car and attempted to get inside were denied access in the inner circle. [the guards from English Heritage also watch people inside the circle to make sure they don't touch the stones of Stonehenge] Those without access have to look at Stonehenge outside the circle from a distance in the general access area.

So yes it may be expensive, but if getting inside the circle is important to you, then it comes at a premium.

To me it would be like going all the way to Bora Bora, and getting a garden view room hotel room attached to a main building, versus staying at an Overwater Bungalow.

Different people want different experiences and have different priorities.

USAIRSBY and TUMD like this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trains are nearly always a good option for travel around the UK. Bear in mind Max M's comment that you will get what you pay for in terms of experience.

USAIRSBY likes this.
  13. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I would rather pay a little more and have the experience but, as of now there are no dates open whne we are there. I will probably keep checking and hope that something opens up.

USAIRSBY likes this.
  14. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh one other thing---, check out Groupon.co.uk on a daily basis to see if you can find the Stonehenge inner circle Private Small Group tour. [that's where we bought our tour]

We actually found the Stonehenge small group inner circle tour offered by Premium Tours for much less, I think it we paid ~65 GBP on Groupon UK instead of the ~109GBP. ;)

Of course there's no guarantee that Premium tours will list the deal on Groupon UK again, or if the tour will even be offered when you're in the UK.

TUMD likes this.
  15. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I decided that we had to find a way to go in the circle! Found another group called Evan Evans tours. So for about 98 pounds we are going to Windsor Castle, Oxford and inside the inner circle at Stonehenge at sunset! Very excited!

brucewil, uggboy, Max M and 1 other person like this.
  16. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a nice outing. Be sure to wear very comfortable walking shoes for that day's trip.

17. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very happy that you found "the other" tour company allowed inside, for a lower cost.

Thanks for sharing the name of the other tour company.

After getting into the circle, you'll be glad you had the chance to be inside it.

Have a great time!

uggboy likes this.
  18. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean it is still standing?