Stolen Enterprise rental Mustang has woman facing $47K bill

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by Sammich, Jan 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kristen Cockerill dropped car off at Enterprise on a Sunday, but company says she should foot bill
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...g-has-woman-facing-47k-bill-1.2482273?cmp=rss

Newscience and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Many years ago a friend had rented from a northern Indiana location of a national rental company; a temporary replacement for her car, which was in the shop; a couple days later it was stolen from in front of her house. When she reported it, the location staff was completely unconcerned and gave her another car. She later learned from police that a couple dozen cars rented from that location had been stolen, and they busted the location manager... it seems he'd tipped his buddies to her address and given them a key, and he'd been doing that regularly.

3. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have laughed at them for even trying to push the charge through or send me an invoice. Car was returned and its now a matter for them to deal with their insurance companies (property and/or auto). Unfortunately though, it will probably be dragged through the courts and that is a nightmare for most people.

Sammich, Flyer1976 and Gargoyle like this.
  4. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    PhoenixDown, the fine print of most Rental Contracts says that if the renter returns the car to a station while closed, s/he is responsible for the car until the station opens & an employee checks it in!

Sammich likes this.
  5. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even though the ToC says otherwise, IIRC from my law class I took a few years back, she might not be liable for the auto charges depending on how the local/federal law there works for property liability transfer.

A CBC article came with an update saying that Enterprise is "willing to work" with the customer toward a solution. Whatever that means...

Update: Kristen Cockerill won't have to pay for stolen $47K rental car

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...y-for-stolen-47k-rental-car-1.2487727?cmp=rss

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  6. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Silver Member

Status Points:
    I totally get why they say that -- i.e. " I dont know how that dent got there, or that cigarette burn appeared in the seat " but ya, I dont think they can get through on this one.

Glad to hear that Enterprise did the right thing though and dropped it.

7. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Italy all renters are required to pay extra for Theft Protection insurance! No way out of it. No credit cards provide it.

Gargoyle and PhoenixDown like this.
  8. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. I never realized that but good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint