Still nothing like a 747

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Photonerd71, Feb 5, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was at IAH finishing up my Global Entry interview (as a side note..would it really hurt the C/I folks to have just a little personality) and went up on the roof of the parking garage with my trusty camera after. Now while the 787 might be Boeing's new crown jewel and the 777 their big long distance mega people mover, but, there is still nothing like seeing and hearing one of those big ole 747's taking off. Those big 4 engines just seem to drown out everything else and there is no doubt it is taking off.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

uggboy, merice107, skyvan and 4 others like this.
  2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did my GE interview at SEA. The place had a ton of personality. Everyone was friendly and nice and joking around.

As to your point, the only thing that I love as much as seeing a 747x takeoff is the A380s I'm seeing more and more frequently. They're hawt!

uggboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ones I've interacted with have all been reasonably civil. And I care more about their efficiency than their personalities.

4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although it seems that crown jewel is a cubic zirconia........;)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Me and another guy watched the video. Then the guy asked what time our apts were. We both said 12:40, ok we each went with a CPB officer, my guy was the one who just asked what time our apt was, says he can't find my name on his list and wanted to know when I made my apt. Told him last week some time, didn't remember the exact date but said I thought it was Mon or Tue. Showed him the printout we were supposed to bring with us with apt date/time on it. He had one of those sighs of disgust, he was looking at the wrong time on his list. Low and behold there my name was under the 12:40 time. Sorry mr CPB guy, it's not my fault you can't look at the right time on your list.

On a positive note....the GE is good for 5 years from your next birthday. My birthday was last month so I get basically 6 years before I have to renew. The 5 year clock doesn't start until Jan 2015.

6. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    But with UA (from IAH anyway) their Crown Jewel of planes seem to be RJ's. ;)

7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We saw one of the first B747 in PanAM's colors flying low and slow over Biscayne Bay in Miami in early 1969, and have flown on many of those beauties in different liveries since then. Upper deck, lower deck, through storms where we saw the wings literally flapping, and many smoother flights. Been on the -200, -400, and Combi models over the years. Great, sturdy aircraft and comfortable for their time. Never been on the faster, slightly smaller SP model as I had hoped.

Sad to see them slowly disappearing, with only a few of the newer -8 models coming online. Boeing really had a winner with those birds, but times are changing and now we're flying on plastic planes and whales.

Garp74 and Photonerd71 like this.
  8. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    lol:D

9. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    My GOES official was adequate, but I think that he had been genetically altered, and part of that was the complete removal of his sense of humor. Still, unlike many govt. officials, he was quick, thorough, with no BS involved - "just the facts sir... " The gentleman, who did the video, and instructions on machinery was much more animated, and DID have a sense of humor - different departments?

I am still very fond of the 747's, and go back many generations. Now, we will often pick specific routes, just to fly them, as most of our trips are on 777's. I have a soft spot in my heart for the piano bar up the staircase. That staircase was magic, back in those days, as was the piano bar. Now, even in GFC, it's just not the same - nice plane, but not what it once was.

Only complaint that I have with them is that when we have to stay out at Burlingame, next to SFO, there is one (China bound?), that takes off very, very early, and almost always from the Bay end of one of the 28 runways. That sucka' wakes us both up, but we know we still have about 3 hours of sleep.

Have not flown an A-380, but they ARE impressive at the jetway.

Hunt

Garp74 likes this.
  10. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't you mean CBP?

11. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once you get flying the A380, that will be your preference over the 744. But I do like the 748 - real quiet.

But flying LAX-SYD on QF - for me A380 is the preferred aircraft over the 744. But the 744 is a little faster.

12. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Yes...it was a typo.

(Head held down in shame.)