Still no seat assignment?!?!

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by hulagrrl210, Oct 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Supposedly Singapore is one of the best airlines in the world, but lately they've been a total pain in the ass. I'm leaving for a trip in about 2 days and still no unable to get a seat assignment for 2 Star Golds traveling SFO-HKG. Obviously that's a long flight and my husband and I have made just about every effort to try and request good seats together.

We've called Singapore about 3 times starting months ago to try and get a seat and as of the most recent conversation (with a supervisor) yesterday, we still don't have an assignment. They won't let me sit in the bulkhead as we requested because I am about 6 months pregnant, so we asked for seats in the row behind. At first we were told that their system was down and to call back after a few weeks. When we did we were told the seats we requested were airport controlled and the phone rep wouldn't give us any assignment, so finally we got in touch with a supervisor who promised he would call the airport and try and get us those seats. He did call back, but only to tell me he can't get in touch with the airport. So as it stands right now, we don't have ANY seats.

We booked this months ago, first started calling in July and August, talked to I don't-know-how-many incompetent people and their supervisors and still no luck. Seeing as how we booked through United, we don't even have a Singapore reservation number or record locator to try and make a selection online. I was wondering is Singapore always this bad? If anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with this airline and get a response out of them, I would love to hear. I really don't feel like getting stuck in the back of the plane in some crappy middle seat, especially pregnant, alone without my husband, which is what I am afraid will happen if we wait to work this out at the airport...

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you ask UA for your record locator on SQ?

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No luck. Singapore didn't give them one. They only have our United confirmation and the ticket number :(

4. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    I gather you are traveling on Singapore Airlines with ticket issued by UA? On SQ1?
    Is this in Y, C or F?
    As of last September, you can get your own seat assignment in Y when flying on SQ with the booking made with other method rather than from SQ on line only. It was discussed here.
    You need to get the record locator for SQ booking from UA who made the original booking (the UA booking code will be different than the SQ booking code.)
    I made an award booking through BD redemption, and I was able to assign my own seat through SQ website.

hulagrrl210, cennas and Jubilee777 like this.
  5. Jubilee777

Jubilee777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. you will need to call United to get the SQ PNR or ticket number starting with 618xxxxx. I dont believe UA is not given one coz they need it for billing purposes later on.

SQ should have no problems assigning you a seat for the flights. I had my BD redemption and got BD to give me the SQ PNR. With the SQ PNR, i called up SQ reservations and they assigned my seat with no problems. I wonder why there is a lapse here.

Since your flight is in 2 days time, do a online check in on SQ's website 48hrs before your flight is scheduled to depart. You will be able to confirm your seats immediately.

6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I called United twice and they did not have the SQ ticket number or SQ PNR, I even talked to someone at the 1k desk. The best answer they could give me was that "Singapore was difficult" (yeah no kidding) and didn't give them one because it was an award ticket... I also couldn't believe United didn't have those numbers- you think they'd want some sort of proof or confirmation to cover their own asses that we were confirmed on the flight, but no. I finally was able to get a SQ PNR by calling Singapore again (I don't know why they wouldn't give it to me before the other 3 times my husband called and asked) but when I went online all I was able to select as far as a seat assignment was to select a preference of window, aisle, middle- nothing with a number or that guaranteed my husband and I will be together. And yup, we are on SQ1 :) in Y :(.

@Jubilee777 I have no idea why they haven't been able to give us a seat assignment over the phone. I am truly at a loss for words. Anyway, I guess I'll try checking in on-line. Thats a good idea. Thanks!! We're still waiting for a supervisor to call us back, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also thanks @SQ LPP I'll check out that link you posted :)

7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I wasn't expecting it, but the supervisor we talked to earlier from SQ called us back with a seat assignment. :)

cennas likes this.
  8. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear that everything worked out well for you in the end! Hopefully they're good seats too!

FWIW, when i made award booking on SQ with BD miles, usually the SQ PNR and the ticket number will be displayed on checkmytrip.com that BD uses.

lwkatya and hulagrrl210 like this.