Still new with booking questions- NYC to VIE

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by jgrease, Dec 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jgrease

jgrease Active Member

Status Points:
    I've had my BA Visa for a couple of years and have used miles poorly in the past. Now, trying to learn lessons from others, I am hoping to find some answers here. I currently have 53k adios points in my account (household with the mrs), and I would like to book a trip to Vienna through BA so I can max the use of these points. It's my understanding that it costs 17500 point per ticket each way to upgrade. I'd like to fly outbound from NYC (prefer EWR) to Vienna upgraded to business for the beds, and home in WT+. I'm looking to do this in April. What do I need to look for, and what fare class, etc do I need to have? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do I understand correctly that you do not want to be in Club (business) for the short-hauls, and economy will do for those?

If you only want to upgrade one long-haul sector (ie EWR-LHR), then it should only be 10,000 miles (plus the extra fuel surcharge and any other additional TFC).

In terms of fare paid, all you need to do is to book a WT+ ticket via BA. All normal cash WT+ bookings should qualify for MFU, including all standard sale fares. This fare will book into economy for the short-hauls, but you will be in the WT+ cabin on the long-hauls.

You also need Club award availability for the sector you want to upgrade. You can check this on ba.com by asking for availability for a standard full redemption; MFUs book the same inventory. Don't forget to check the box for a one-way itinerary; it's always best to check each sector separately in any event.

The ticket must be issued in the country of your BAEC membership, but as you appear to be a US member and your trip is starting in the US, there shouldn't be any bear traps to watch out for. In any event, if you do it online this will be taken care of automatically.

If you want to upgrade LHR-VIE to Club as well, there seems to be possible uncertainty about whether the additional cost is 7,500 miles or 3,750 miles (plus the extra fuel surcharge and any other additional TFC). Res agents have been seen charging the former, but ba.com has been seen to price it as the latter. Obviously, you need to have Club award availability for this sector as well if you're going to do it.

3. jgrease

jgrease Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, my BAEC membership is based in the US. So If I pay for a full-fare WT+, I should be upgraded for 10k miles if the seats are available? My other question would be will I get miles for the trip or do I sacrifice them because of the upgrade? Sorry for the questions but I really want to get the most for my miles.
    ps- What about using 20k miles instead to lower the price? Is that allowed? Does that change my ticket and travel status?

4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends what you mean by "full-fare"! Some T class fares can be pretty cheap, particularly in sales. ;)

As long as your underlying ticket is a published WT+ fare (including public sale fares) - that is, in any of W, E or T booking classes - you should be able to MFU for 10,000 miles on each of the long-hauls (the current rate for NYC-LON) subject to availability of a Club award seat (which you can check by dummy booking a pure redemption).
    You will earn miles and Tier Points for the underlying ticket for which you've paid.

Sometimes, these don't post automatically and initially appear on your account as non-earning flights. Fear not, it's a known bug in the system and BAEC is very used to and very good at sorting it out.
    The only way of doing anything like this is to do a mile and money redemption. This is a completely different kettle of fish. If you want to travel in WT+ but reduce the cash cost, you need to look for a WT+ redemption ticket, and then reduce the miles cost by paying some cash. This way, you get a redemption ticket on redemption rules; important differences are that you do not earn anything by flying on this despite the cash element, because it's a redemption ticket, but the change and cancellation rules are more flexible than most deep discount cash WT+ tickets.

FlyIce likes this.
  5. jgrease

jgrease Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for those answers - much appreciated. I think I have a better grip on the issue now.