Still confused on how its worth it...

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Glitch, Dec 14, 2015.  |  Print Topic

Tags:
  1. Glitch

Glitch Member

Status Points:
    I have the barclay arrival card with a sign up of 40,000 points with $3,000 spent in 3 months.

after its $1 for 2 points what I dont understand is how is it worth collecting all these points. For me to get 40,000 points without the sign up bonus id need to spend $20,000. Those points only have about a $400 value how do you or others collect large amounts of points without spending tens of thousands of dollars?

I thought the whole point was for free or cheap travel? I feel like im not seeing a large part of how this all works please help :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  2. Glitch

Glitch Member

Status Points:
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm far from an expert, but if all you're doing is using the one card, you still probably have enough points for a domestic award flight. But if you also fly, stay in a hotel, rent a car, or do other similar things, you can accumulate enough for a nice experience. And maybe you can find ways to get status that will help you with flight or hotel room upgrades to make life more pleasant along the way.

Use your card for everything you buy, maybe add another card when there's a nice bonus going, watch for oportunities to obtain other bonuses, double up on points, convert points from other programmes when appropriate, fly once in a while..... You will generate enough points for some nice travel. But it will take a bit of work to find the right opportunities. Ask questions here and read threads that are of interest to you and you will learn a lot. I owe a huge amount to the Inside Flyer community for their advice.

Starting point questions include what airline and/or alliance do you use, what are your goals, what is your lifestyle, where do you want to go? Let us know what you're interested in beyond the generic free/cheap travel and there are plenty of people around here who know way more than I do who can help point you in the right direction.

Enjoy the journey!

Counsellor likes this.
  4. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    To get a lot of free travel you'll need to do quite a bit a CC churn to collect points on various cards. Another way is travel alot for work travel and maximize hotel points by making sure you a registered for any bonus promotions. You also should be putting as much spend on your CC(s) as possible assuming you can pay them off each month. Cash is trash.

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you have huge credit card bills (say work reimbursed spending) you will want to focus on getting many cards for the sign up bonuses - that's where the big bump in points are. Everyday spend of say $12,000 to $24,000 per year is not going to get you many points on a single card.

6. Glitch

Glitch Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for everyone input!
    I appreciate the help