Sticky Guidelines

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by JALPak, Apr 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there any guidelines for the Milepoint Guides on when to create a sticky threads? I noticed more sticky threads have been created, while most are helpful guides to newbie or FAQ, there are (were) some questionable ones too.

For example:

Screen shot 2011-04-12 at 12.37.30 PM.png

And its contents:
    Screen shot 2011-04-12 at 12.38.00 PM.png

So why is a master news thread a sticky thread? And seems like there's some kind of inconsistency on different forums (or even the same guide has different standards of what he/she will make a master thread too)

Assuming Simon is the one who made the JAL news thread a master thread, he hasn't made the master news thread started by Chimpy on QF forum as a master thread either (http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/qantas-jetstar-news.6668/).

Screen shot 2011-04-12 at 5.23.34 PM.png

And Simon is fully aware of that thread

Screen shot 2011-04-12 at 12.46.00 PM.png
    Seems like a common practice or standard among the users who can make a thread a sticky one might be needed so it will be more consistent across different forums.

Disclaimer: I am not a fan of master thread like this and I have publicly stated I won't be posting all JAL news there. And no I don't hate Simon, I just use him as an example because I know he won't take this personally (although we love to tease each other) and I know where to find all these info rather quickly :)

savydog and Chimpy like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would a wiki not be more useful that a sticky thread for repeatable content? I too am not a fan of sticky threads and did not even know we had the ability to create them.

savydog and JALPak like this.
  3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Milepoint Guide and admin can. It was more consistent when admins were the only one who can create them. And yes, wiki is better because more people can edit the contents.

I am not a fan of sticky either. And for threads like the "news threads", I still don't understand why it should be made a sticky. But if they think it should, at least make it consistent across different forums.

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed

5. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    i dont see how you can not have stickies. so guides can make stickies? whats the latest with editing requiring silver status?

im not a fan of wikis because of reliability issues. my "compromise" suggestion has been to have wiki 2nd posts in stickies which people who like wikis can use, and people who dont like wikis can ignore.

savydog likes this.
  6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are pros and cons of both. Either way, consistency is the key.

7. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Status Points:
    what is a con of a sticky in a forum where the topic is anything non-general (general like "dining") ?

8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea what you were referring to. But to use the example I posted in the OP, I don't see any reason to put the thread in question in either sticky or wiki. Would love to see more examples of sticky threads that you don't think it should be stickies.

9. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Status Points:
    i agree with you on news stickies, and i was not talking about "bad" stickies like that. anything that is being bumped on that kind of basis is definitely an example of a "bad" sticky. also kind of post padding.

guides being able to make stickies could be an issue. which is one of the things you are raising i believe. because guide is easier to "earn" than moderator, but there "arent" moderators.

i see good stickies (like FAQ) as extremely important. my 9th post on MP >
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/status-vs-master-threads.1211/

10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Couldn't agree more. There should be some guidelines to what should be made a sticky and what info belongs to the wiki. Would love to hear about what the admins' comments on this matter. :)

11. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I can only talk for myself. I have made a couple of threads "stickies". These were basically threads that had, in my mind, a real purpose and should be available to someone at first glance. An example of a sticky that I "made" is the "Searching for *A award" thread in the *Alliance forum. In my opinion, that thread should stay at the top of the list.

Horse and savydog like this.
  12. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree "Searching for *A award" should be something that stay at the top as those are helpful hints similar to FAQ. Whether that eventually should go to wiki is a separate discussion. But i was wondering if there are any discussions between the guides or instructions from the admins on what should be put as stickies? Or the guides just use their own judgement

13. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Right now it is up to each Guide. However, if you look at the "Newbies" forum, Randy has redone the stickies to put them in one "area" within the forum. I suspect he will be looking at each forum and making some changes to make things consistent.

14. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like it might not be a bad idea for the guides and the admins to have some kind of conversation and agree on what should be made sticky to save Randy some time in the future. Without some clear instructions, I suspect this will just happen again in the future :)

15. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Discussion has already been started.

savydog, JALPak and Gargoyle like this.
  16. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The main problem I find with posting all "news posts" in one thread is that some people, myself included watch Newly Created Topics and Trending Topics. As it is being added to a previous post it will not show up here and hence could very well be missed.
    Even though I started the one in the Qantas forum it was mainly a trial after a private conversation with another member who did not like the way that I was posting the "news". Before you ask he was not a guide.:)
    Just my 2c worth.

17. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yea another reason I don't really like master threads like that. But the "news posts" is only part of the problem. I remember seeing the thread about the frequent flyer university (not sure if I get the name right) in the newbie forum, and then later in the oneworld forum too. It's just a bit too much and seems like they are just trying to get people to sign up and pay IMHO.

18. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    JALPak, you raise some interesting questions which as deant mentioned are currently being discussed. Out of interest, are you aware of any other forums that have sticky guidelines? A quick search and I found one site but I am sure you can find some more to use as a guide (excuse the pun) for creating some guidelines for stickies.

See here (note this is not the greatest example but the only one I could find)

19. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the many reasons MP doesn't have mods is they want more consistency between different forums. I will just let you guys discuss about it among yourselves :)

savydog likes this.
  20. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, it was I who suggested that the news thread that JALPak referred to above to be sticky'ed. If all news articles were to be put into this thread, those interested in seeing the latest developments in JAL news would then have immediate access to them.

Of course it can be argued that by creating a thread for each individual news article, the latest information is immediately visible on the first page of the forum, but as a result of this, there are currently a lot of news threads in the JAL forum which have buried other threads that would otherwise have garnered more discussions and views. It was with this hope of improving the experience of people visiting the JAL forum that I made the sticky suggestion.

savydog likes this.
  21. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the thread itself is regularly updated, it will always be one of the threads near the top without being a sticky at all.

And I would argue creating a new thread will get more people's attention as Chimpy has suggested. Putting things in gigantic master threads will actually generate less views/discussions. And not to mention it's extremely non newbie friendly. I don't think too many people will go through hundred pages of posts in an well established master thread for example, at least I wouldn't. Also not to mention it's much more easier to ignore a thread than posts within a thread. Searching is also way easier as there's a search thread title only feature and there's no search within thread yet. The real problem over there is people just abuse the lounge thread and put all discussions over there. There are MR planning thread, meet up thread, etc but people tend to just ask/discuss everything in the lounge thread instead. For example, instead of asking HND arrival lounge access rules in the lounge thread, you could have started a new discussion, that way people can search for that info or follow that discussion much more easily

But this is a different discussion. Having a more consistent practice among guides and admins is what I am trying to do here.

SirRagnar, savydog and Chimpy like this.
  22. KIXman
    Original Member

KIXman Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. Cooperation from the forum members to keep it updated with relevant information would help a lot in keeping it near the top. :)

It helps to know the background of why some threads are recommended to be sticky'ed in order to work out a consistent practice and good guidelines.

Chimpy likes this.
  23. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, I will give more data. Below are the all of the threads on JAL forum (excluding the two stickies: JAL news and JAL FAQ). I tried to break them down really quick, I might have mis-categorize it or some are debatable but this aims to provide some data point/background. IMHO, news threads aren't cluttering the forum but of course if you think anything other than miles/points are news, then it's a different story. :)

Stickies: 2 threads (1.24%)
    JAL Corporate News/Rumors: 22 threads (13.66%)
    JAL Fleet: 10 threads (6.21%)
    Incident: 1 thread (0.62%)
    JAL Travel/Experience/Operation: 48 threads (29.81%)
    JMB/MR/Sales: 58 threads (36.02%)
    Meet Ups: 6 threads (3.73%)
    JAL Related Products/Photos/Videos/Website: 7 threads (4.35%)
    OT: 7 threads (4.35%)

Total: 161 threads

JAL Corporate News/Rumors: 22 threads
    JAL to maintain profit goal despite impact of disasters
    JAL seeks 200 employees to take unpaid leave
    Nikkei: JAL Eyes Y10bn Cost Cuts By Slashing Personnel Expenses
    Hello new logo :)
    美国航空高管:中国政府已批准美航与日航在中美航线联营 (AA: Chinese Gov't Approved JAL/AA ATI on US-China route)
    Australian watchdog fines JAL over cargo cartel
    JAL shortens JAL Plaza's office hours
    [FlyerTalk] Walsh: British Airways Owner IAG May Pursue JAL Stake
    [FlyerTalk] JAL releases data on effect of the Tohoku Pacific Earthquake
    産経新聞:日航、更生手続き完了 3200億円を一括弁済 (JAL get out of bankruptcy)
    [FlyerTalk] Rumor: Business News JAL considering forming budget carrier with Australia's Jetstar
    [FlyerTalk] JAL - an object lesson in Corporate Social Responsibility
    [FlyerTalk] Nikkei: JAL to complete court-backed restructuring by Monday
    [Rumor] Jetstar to form JV. JAL/ANA might get more competitions in the domestic market
    Delta Agrees to Buy Nine Used MD-90 Jets From Japan Airlines
    Someone suing JL, NH, CX and other carriers for fixing passenger and cargo fees
    GE bought one of JAL's 744's as their new test bed
    JAL to announce fund raising plan in March
    JAL expects no major impact from oil price hike this fiscal
    [Rumor] JAL to get capital from Daiwa and 7 others
    JAL expand partnership with Rakuten
    JAL CEO Dr. Inamori thinks JAL should NOT merge with ANA in the near future

JAL Fleet: 10 threads
    New JAL Express "Ganbarou Nippon" livery
    Ministry instructs to inspect 15 JAL 737s (total of 46 737's affected in Japan)
    A300 Service extension till 30APR11 (as of 27MAR11)
    JAL getting the first 787 in Oct?
    787 Airplane #23 (JAL's JA822J) activates Boeing's San Antonio 787 production line
    Goodbye JAL 747!
    JAL's 787 will make first flight in early March
    FUK said goodbye to JAL 744D
    Retirement tour of JAL A300-600R
    JA654J delivered without finishing painting the livery. Possible first plane with new livery

Incident: 1 thread
    2 passengers injured due to sudden turbulence on TYO-HNL on Friday

JAL Travel/Experience/Operation: 48 threads
    [FlyerTalk] JAL reduce international capacity/frequency due to Tohoku Pacific Earthquake
    JAL to resume flights to Sendai on....
    JAL switches checked baggage allowance to piece system on all international flights
    JAL Domestic and International Inflight Service and Lounge Service Affected by Earthquake
    Renovation Work at HND T1
    JAL suspends some domestic flights to rearrange aircrafts for Tohoku relief flights
    JAL ex-HKG Menu Thread
    [FlyerTalk] To find out radiation level at airports JAL flies to...
    Special Notice to Passenger taking JAL's ex-SDJ flights
    Change of flight path for some flights
    Russian salad is here to stay (ex-HKG inflight meal)
    Special ticket handling policy for passengers affected by the earthquake
    Helicopter Service for intercon F pax?
    JAL SFO - NRT First class review
    Which is better JAL or ANA Business class and why?
    JAL extends domestic flight suspensions till June 30
    JAL to operate special flights to airports that can be operated in the Tohoku region
    JAL cancels all flights to/from SDJ till at least April 28
    JAL ex-Japan First Class Menu
    Thank You Note from JAL Cabin Attendants
    JAL international flights IFE movie and video list
    JAL Enhances International and Domestic Meal Service from April 1 2011
    4月期間限定でとっておきのケンゾー エステイトのワインを機内で提供いたします! (Special wine on SFO flights in April)
    Operation change at ORD from March 27 2011
    JAL North America posted the ICAO statement saying there's no restrictions on travel to Japan
    Change of electronic device usage policy from April 1 2011
    JAL resumes normal international operation on March 14 2011
    2011-03-11 HND and NRT suspended operation due to the earthquake
    JAL suspends HND hanger visit on March 12 and 13 2011 due to earthquake
    Holy crap. Issue your ticket before April 1 to avoid fuel surcharge hike
    JAL changes HND-TSA flights JL031/032 schedule
    JAL Domestic First Class Menu Thread (Photos + Japanese Menu)
    Goodbye and Thank You MAGIC-II (JAL's IFE)
    Temporary change in aircraft configuration on Narita-Jakarta (JL726/725)
    JAL Hinamatsuri Flight JL091 on March 3
    Special Inari from Kyushu on FUK-HND day time F in March
    JAL starts bamboo wheelchair trial
    Special Ticket Policies for Passengers Affected by the New Zealand Earthquake
    Passenger survey on JAL domestic flights (in-flight survey)
    Memorable/Special Cabin Attendants?
    Japan Airlines and Iberia Codeshare Again to Madrid
    Qantas expands codeshare agreement with JAL to cover HND-SIN
    Kanto area snow storm on Feb 11-12 2011
    JAL will follow ANA and adjust fuel surcharge every two months from now on
    JAL announced new codeshare flights with FDA from March 27
    Flight Delay Notice:JL062/JL061, 17FEB11
    Flight Delay Notice: JL001, San Francisco (SFO) to Tokyo (HND), February 14, 2011
    JAL is considering to follow ANA and switch to piece system luggage allowance on all int'l flights

JMB/MR/Sales: 58 threads
    [Poll] Does NRT-HKG upgrade worth 2,500 JMB miles?
    JAL announces changes to Fly On status extra luggage benefits from April 1 2011
    [100th thread on JAL forum] Have you received your 2011 JMB Fly On Status Card yet?
    HND International First Class Lounge no longer listed on OW website
    Japan JGC Members' Chance to fly the New 767 with the Tsurumaru Logo
    [Poll] Which JMB elite level you are aiming for in 2011
    Update on Tohoku Pacific Earthquake Support Miles
    デンパサール バリ行き「週末ステイ5」運賃改定 (DPS Weekend 5 Fare revision)
    JMB Elite program finally ticks over to 2011
    New AA bonuses and more from the 1st of April
    Who's going for JGC and who's holding off until next year or later?
    A matter of FOP's - advice please
    JAL F lounges at NRT - which is better?
    HND - Haneda JL Lounges
    Discounted domestic mileage promo from the 1st of April
    SFO Sakura Lounge Hours?
    Best JAL Credit Card for those living in Japan
    Exclusive offers to JAL Hang Seng Card Customers
    [新規提携 NTTドコモ] ドコモポイントがマイルへ交換できます (earn JMB miles from NTT)
    2011 JGC Run Routing Suggestions
    Change of HND International Terminal Lounge Hours
    JAL Extends HND Arrival Lounge Campaign till March 31 2012
    [第2弾]最大8,200マイル!春のJALカード入会キャンペーン (Sign up bonus for JALCard)
    Update to JMB International Sector Miles from Jan 1 2011
    [FlyerTalk] JMB Mileage Accumulation Rate Changes on MU Flights from May 1 2011
    JMB Miles and Yahoo! Japan Points Exchange
    JMB Members can now donate miles through the "Tohoku Pacific Earthquake Support Miles" Program
    HKD 2600++ for HKG-NRT when at least 2 people fly together
    JMB hotline experiencing high call volume but zero wait time for JGC
    Enjoy Suite Stay at Swissotel Hotels & Resorts and Earn Maximum 1,500 Bonus Miles per Stay
    Earn Double Miles at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels
    New JMB contact number for American Region
    JAL HK Spring Campaign
    Earn Double Miles at Park Hyatt Tokyo with the luxurious "PARK 360" package!
    Winter Fare Sale US to Japan - Further Reduced! Inbox X
    JAL will switch to ORD AA Flagship Lounge and AC from March 27 2011
    JAL announced discount fares to Europe and Asia
    JAL added discounted fares Mar27-Jun30 travel
    Special commemorative tour to US
    How did you spend your 2010 Upgrade Points?
    Early Spring 3 Sale to China
    What's your favorite JMB campaign in 2010?
    [JAL Mileage Project 2011] Enjoy! JAL Premium Economy Campaign
    How many JMB miles did you spend in 2010?
    Every Stay at IHG Hotel Gets You More – Up to 11,000 Miles
    [JAL Mileage Project 2011] JAL Int'l Award Tickets Discounted Mileage Campaign
    Earn more miles to have a even happier Valentines' Day
    Stay at The Capitol Hotel Tokyu with special package and earn 1,000 JMB miles!
    USD80 F&B/Spa credit at participating Marriott International hotel in Asia Pacific
    [JAL Mileage Project 2011] Special Discounted MIleage Campaign
    You can finally request your post-(int'l) flight JMB mile credits online from mid Feb
    2011 JMB Upgrade Points
    FLY ON Points List
    JAL USA Card referral campaign
    Worst JMB airline partner for discounted Y accumulation rate
    JMB miles conversion rates
    Which airline you wish JMB to partner with?
    Special tour for first JAL flight with the new livery

Meet Ups: 6 threads
    [JAL Forum Meet Up 2011] Okinawa DO
    2011 JAL Meet Ups
    [JAL Forum Meet Up 2011] Fumitani Food Festival: Los Angeles
    2011 JAPAN JAL Meetups
    [JAL Forum Meet Up 2011] Fumitani Food Festival: Hong kong
    [JAL Meet Up 2011] Hokkai-DO Round 2

JAL Related Products/Photos/Videos/Website: 7 threads
    Help improve the JAL domestic flights English website
    1/500 JAL Wing Collection #3: Memories of the JAL 747 Family
    JAL Boeing 747-400 Memorial Photo Book
    JAL Video Thread
    New 767-300ER with Tsurumaru Logo
    JAL photo thread
    AA logo starts showing up at the bottom of some pages on JAL website

OT: 7 threads
    [JMB Forum Diamond Premier Lounge] The JAL Forum Conversational Thread
    Does JALPak post too many threads
    New Partner Hotel for JALHotels program (Hotel Loyalty Program independent of JMB)
    Can I get from haneda to Narita? (Local Point)
    Let's start this off
    MilePoint JAL Forum Twitter Account
    How should this JMB forum be different from the one on FT?

ACMM and Chimpy like this.
  24. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Status Points:
    sticky guidelines?

or simply having mods...
    1. every single thread should not be a master thread, but some threads should/could be master threads
    2. if there is a policy on personal attacks, it should not be expanded to "discussion of members" unless it is much more specific than that
    3. personally, speaking as someone with mod experience, i dont see the problem with discussing moderation, as long as its kept in its own thread/forum/etc, but then i never moderated personal attacks directed at me, so perhaps my opinion is irrelevant
    4. permissions (ban, delete, edit, move) can be customized - for example not giving mods ability to ban at all

guides should be chosen as if they were mods with more permissions. the goal should be organization, but some common sense and some logic are also required. with higher levels of permissions, trust is most important.

JALPak likes this.
  25. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    because some forums have more news discussed around and would be best to let everyone know where the news is? some other forums people know to post in the news thread so teh rest of the forumspace can be used for trip reports, questions, etc.