Stickies?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by peteropny, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A limited number of stickies in each forum are really helpful. What will be the procedure going forward to do this on this site? I'm assuming notify one of the admins? Thanks!!!

Mikel likes this.
  2. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is general agreement on this end. Stickies can get out of hand quickly if not managed properly. How to manage them properly is a whole other question. We've discussed this here at the HOM, but I don't think anything is set in stone yet so input is certainly valuable and appreciated.

3. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stickies in their pure thread form do get out of hand and it is rare that people read them when there is a lot of other activity going on, as is the hope here. I wonder if a possible solution might be a topic/forum based widget for important stuff that pertains to that forum. It could blink or do something like the Alert tab at the top does now to let a user know if they haven't read the information there yet or if there is something new they should read. Making it a show/hide sort of thing may make it easier to manage from a UI perspective.

4. tosc
    Original Member

tosc Silver Member

Status Points:
    A widget sounds like a cool idea. Plus the initial creator of such a widget should be able (well or any mod/admin) to create an ACL to allow other specific users to edit his widget item, this might be really useful for FAQs or such longterm posts.

Mackieman likes this.
  5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are any integrated wiki features available? I'd love to see community-managed summaries and directories rather than a bunch of ordinary threads as stickies.

Mackieman likes this.
  6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really doesn't need to be a "sticky" -- sticky is one specific solution to the problem. And like you say, on some forums you will find the entire first page is covered by stickies.

Yet the real problem exists: highly visible pointers to information (FAQs, stickies etc), especially for new members, are necessary. A drop-down menu listing those links for the current forum is one possibility, but it isn't highly visible.

I don't know how much control you have over your forum software: I realize you will have the PHP source code but how much will you want to modify it? One thought I have is a "quick links" or "FAQ" block at the top of the forum page, up to two rows of three single-line buttons configured by the forum mods. You can then highlight them using colours, shapes, textures etc to make them visible to all users yet not distracting. Each one could point either to a thread or to a wiki page. Not much real estate given up, but very easy to spot.

What do you think?

kiwi and Mikel like this.
  7. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    A wiki feature is a great idea.