Stickers instead of Cards for q1 next year?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Nov 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was over on "the other place" looking around a bit and noticed a huge outcry over the rumor that MP may issue a letter or sticker that will indicate your correct status since new cards may not be issued until q2 when the MP and OP are to be finally combined. The original poster suggested he heard this from an MP rep and everyone is crying that they wont be able to get into a lounge next year with an expired card. Has anyone heard this? I don't understand the panic since the current MP cards have magnetic strips that contain your card so as long as UA keeps the database accurate, shouldnt be a problem.
    Its amusing to see the speculators and conspiracy theorists come out on these issues on the "other site".

hulagrrl210 and SFOtoORD like this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No huge outcry here, but I did mention this a couple days ago in the thread about the new numbers given that that had been one of my early (unanswered) questions for UA.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...ccount-number-update.22220/page-4#post-941128

Do LH Senator Lounge agents swipe the card (vs look at it?) and is their computer able to validate against the MP number? Considering that the agents today don't consider the *G status designator that LH's own boarding passes show for UA 1P/1K as sufficient for admittance to the club, I think some concern is justified. UA Insider could of course clarify how this would work... (and maybe they did... I haven't been back to the Ft thread in days).

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, LH swipes the card in a reader. At least thats been my experience.

I've sent him questions too, but he never replies. I asked if a Premier silver next year buys y+ at booking, but there are still seats open at check-in, does the prem. silver get a refund since they would have been entitled to the free seat anyway. No answer.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd be very surprised if they issued a refund. I think the T&C for E+ purchases today basically say "no refunds". If you buy E+ and then get domestic F (OpUp or sponsored do F4$) you won't get a refund for the E+ purchase.

hulagrrl210 and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I never delved into their T/C's on this one.

When ever I opt up to F they credited the amount paid for e+ towards the F buy up prior to me turning 2p this yr.

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went there a few days ago and noticed the same thing. HOLY COW....I just smiled and said to myself I'm glad I'm not a part of that group anymore.

The other thought I had was exactly what you said about the magnetic strip. If they can change things on the fly to a PNR, they can make adjustments to the data from the magnetic strip of the cards.

7. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Candidly, lounge access will be a problem as many Star Alliance carrier lounges will look at the expiration date on the card and not give two sh!ts about what a magnetic stripe says. And if you think United will manage to ensure every Star lounge agent worldwide knows about the revised card expiry, well, look at how many UACO agents are often clueless about the freely published policies of their own airlines, and are content to say INP instead of looking things up.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe UA should offer $50/pax or guest for each denied lounge access. (I picked the price based on the cost of a one-time pass for the United Club).

9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Umm.. yeah ;)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    but that's not the marginal cost, I'll take $50 though anyday...

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, it's not the marginal cost, but it would enable those who were denied access to buy a day in a fabulous United Club (I am sure the bean counters at UA consider all clubs to be equal).

12. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    wow, didnt know it was possible to have fabulous and united club in the same sentence!

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe that's the name UA should have picked in the first place - Fabulous United Club or for short FUC.

14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    You oughta look up one of Seattle's light rail routes.....South Lake Union Trolley.

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    ROFL!

catgirl likes this.
  16. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems reasonable to me. Obviously the only concern would be the LH lounges, but I don't think it makes sense to have to send out MP cards twice next year.

17. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree.

Without valid *G credentials, people are going to have issues with international partner lounges. The TK lounge definitely wanted to see the card this morning and didn't scan it. I'm not sure a sticker extending the expiry will work seamlessly.

Is this the end of the world? No.

Is it one of those cases where a low-priority integration issue becomes an outsized pain to some frequent flyers? Probably.

catgirl likes this.
  18. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My husband and I got $200 for b!tching about denied lounge access.

19. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mrs. 744 got $100 from UA when lounge dragon didnt believe that BD was alliance member.......

Flyer1976, hulagrrl210 and catgirl like this.
  20. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bouncer at EWR didn't believe CO was part of the *A

21. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wow...just wow. it had to be either his first day, or his last.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  22. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually it was a really cranky old lady. We had just come from an international CO flight and under *A policy that entitled to lunge access, but she didn't seem to care and argued that according to United policy, we were only allowed to visit the lounge on the outbound. Luckily, Customer Relations sided with us.

23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This seems to me like the sort of "tempest in a teapot" that the "other site" is frequently prone to. I am nearly certain that UACO will issue status cards on time or make appropriate arrangements with, e.g., LH to avoid inconveniencing MP elites seeking *A lounge access. They have had plenty of time to plan the transition and it seems to me that most changes have been fairly seamless to date. I recently renewed my United Club membership card (from RCC) and got the new card within about 3 weeks, suggesting that the new status cards will probably be ready to ship in Q1 2012. Also, note that after I renewed my UA Club membership online, I was given a temporary e-card that I could have printed if I needed evidence of membership, and this is something that UACO might do if they cannot issue status cards on time. If there is a delay in issuing status cards, the only impact might be in gaining access to LH lounges, as they are the only ones of *A lounges I am aware of that have been anal retentive about giving access to *G members who did not have a status card but had otherwise valid *A carrier ticket and passport. On the other hand, I was recently in FRA where I had to show only my RCC card and my ticket to get into an LH lounge, meaning that some of us who are United Club members have nothing to worry about...

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    UA Insider posted an update on Flyertalk's version of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ds-will-stickers-letters-10.html#post17540856

"As many of you know, our migration to a single system in late first quarter 2012 will require that we extend the current Elite year for this short period of time until we can begin delivering the benefits of the 2012 program. We’ll be extending credential validity during this transition period so that you will continue to enjoy your Elite benefits when traveling on United as well as with our Star Alliance partners. We will have more details to share on this process and the timing by early January (or sooner)."

25. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    This problem would have been more mitigated had the bean counters not taken over and shortened the status period to January and instead just kept it in February

Fredd and HeathrowGuy like this.