Sticker upgrades w/companion

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mike Reed, Nov 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Either I'm doing something wrong or something has changed. The relevant data:

I'm EXP, with ~17 stickers from my time as non-EXP.

My wife is PLT, currently with 0 stickers.

Twice now (last week and today) we've been flying on the PNR and requested upgrades at the time of booking in coach. In these two cases, upgrades didn't clear before check-in, so we rolled to the airport list. Both times now the GA's have cleared me and when I ask about my wife I'm told she's not on the list. Both times, simply noting she's my companion and on the same PNR clears her manually.

What am I doing wrong? How do I keep us together when we transfer to the airport list when she's using stickers from my account, not hers? Shouldn't this "just happen?"

I thought that if we're together and there's only one upgrade, they should skip us for the next "single" upgrade on the list, but otherwise we should clear together. For our return, we've already cleared - together - so it's clearly something in the shift to the airport upgrade list.

Why is she consistently dropping off the list? What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    This one is new to me. How are you checking her in - online, kiosk, agent?

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first time it happened she used the AA app on her iPhone to check us in. Today, I used the AA app on mine. That may be it - we'll try just doing a kiosk check-in and see what happens there...

4. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had similar issues when traveling with a companion who has status. I think the issue once you are on the airport list is that since your wife has status of her own the system is set up to pull the stickers from her account and, even though she is listed as your companion, when it sees zero stickers in her account it skips her. Even if you clear ahead of time in this situation you will not be allowed to check in on line because the system will want to pull stickers from her account and there are none. Both situations require the agent to manually pull the stickers from your account. In my experience, my assistant went from no status one year, to gold the next, and then back to no status. What I learned was that in the year she had status I had to buy the stickers in her account if I wanted everything to be automated and in the non status years then I bought them in my account.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That may be the case. It may be worth checking in at the counter for this from now on when we're traveling together. That, and my purchase of 7 stickers for the Amex PLT reimbursement will be for HER account.

6. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do stickers count as a reimbursable fee via Amex PLT?

7. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
  8. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are both status, you have to be careful to ask the agent to tag the companion to the highest status or both parties will not show up together on the list. I was EXP and my husband was Platinum. About 80% of the time, I was at the top and he was much lower. I always asked the AAngels to verify and they fixed. This made the AC membership most helpful as they knew how to fix it much better than the gate agents.

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    They did last year. I'll have to check the published terms and conditions again before purchasing next year.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never had us not together when we're on the same PNR. Our upgrades often clear together at my EXP threshold. But you're right, once you check in without upgrades, it does seem to separate.