Step away from the duty-free: you're better off online

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Aug 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/08/07/s...youre-better-off-online/?icid=money|DL_1_link

Beware the duty-free shops, because according to a new report, there's every chance they are not the haven for bargains that you think - and you may actually be better off buying online when you get home.

So why are we so vulnerable to these rip offs, and which 'bargains' are actually worth it?

Buying booms
    Shopping in the airport or ferry terminal is as much a part of the holiday as buying plastic replicas of local landmarks when you get there.

Despite the downturn, we are spending more than ever before we fly. Airport sales have increased 6 percentage points every year for the past four years - the kinds of figures the high street must read and weep,

Read More: http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/08/07/s...youre-better-off-online/?icid=money|DL_1_link

2. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never understood the appeal or saw great deals at Duty-Free...

uggboy, sobore and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once in a while I'll see an okay deal on something, but definitely agree it's usually NOT a good deal for many! One exception I know are Norwegian friends who say procuring DF liquor is much cheaper than in Norway.

MLW20 and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    From time to time, I see good deals on electronics or beauty products, at DUB cameras are definitively cheaper than on the high street, the same with some beauty brands!;)

MLW20 likes this.
  5. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    I occasionally will purchase an unusual item that may be difficult to find back home...but other than that, no...

uggboy likes this.
  6. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have occasionally picked up items with leftover local currency, but usually just shop to use time waiting for flight. Never by wine or liquor at duty free.

FlyingFree and Sedosi like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here.:)

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see DF as a great way to get rid of leftover foreign money; I seldom buy anything on the way out. Favorite items are alcohol (Johnny Black) and tobacco (cigs are $12-13/pack in NYC due to Bloomy's "sin tax") products, which make great gift items...;)

uggboy and Sedosi like this.