Steaks on a Plane! Frequent Flyer Tweets, Gets Special Delivery at Newark Airport

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Aug 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.jaunted.com/story/2011/8...eets,+Gets+Special+Delivery+at+Newark+Airport

Sit back and listen to this tale of social media customer service gone right, where frequent flying combined with brand loyalty and humor equaled genuine surprise:
    Peter Shankman is as frequent a flyer as you'll ever find; following him on Twitter you'll quickly get a sense of this, plus his preference for Continental Airlines and Newark-Liberty Airport.
    Yesterday, as Shankman relates in his blog post, he flew to Miami for a business lunch and dreaded the hunger that would gnaw upon returning to Newark Airport that night. So he tweeted about it:

Hey @Mortons - can you meet me at newark airport with a porterhouse when I land in two hours? K, thanks. :)
    The tweet was a joke, but luckily Morton's was listening to Shankman—a frequent Morton's diner—and had two hours to turn this tweet into magic. What happened next is the stuff that shows up in customer service handbooks under the heading "above and beyond":

I shut off my phone and we took off. Two and a half hours later, we landed at EWR. The fact that a flight got into EWR on time during summer thunderstorm season is a miracle in itself, but that’s not important right now. Walking off the plane, I headed towards the area where the drivers wait, as my assistant Meagan had reserved me a car home. Looking for my driver, I saw my name, waved to him, and started walking to the door of EWR, like I’d done hundreds of times before...

I turned to see that the driver was standing next to someone else, who I just assumed was another driver he was talking to. Then I noticed the “someone else” was in a tuxedo. And he was carrying a Morton’s bag...

Alex, from Morton’s Hackensack walks up to me, introduces himself, and hands me a bag. He proceeds to tell me that he’d heard I was hungry, and inside is a 24 oz. Porterhouse steak, an order of Colossal Shrimp, a side of potatoes, one of Morton’s famous round things of bread, two napkins, and silverware.​
    There's even a picture to prove it.

Read More: http://www.jaunted.com/story/2011/8...eets,+Gets+Special+Delivery+at+Newark+Airport

2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seriously awesome... but how many steaks did he eat at Morton's before they did this for him? Did he tweet about Morton's everytime he went or did they just know him through some back channel?

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What? No wine to go with this nice big steak? Isn't that another reason to go to a good steakhouse?

N965VJ and Scottrick like this.
  4. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cue Samuel L Jackson as the manager at Morton's

"We need to get these Mo****f****** steaks to the Mo*****f****** plane (at the airport)!"

5. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    :D

Maybe a liquor law? One time when I ordered in some Chinese in EWR, the delivery guy also gave me a free can of Pepsi. I'm not a soft drink person, so I joked about wishing it was a beer instead. Poor guy thought I was serious and said he wasn't allowed to do that.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably also concern that they don't want the guy violating open bottle laws by consuming wine with his steak while car service drives him home. (I know that in some places like Vegas people can consume champagne, etc. in limos, but not everywhere. I don't know about NY except that their rules for alcohol in boats are surprisingly strict.)

N965VJ likes this.
  7. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As a NYer since 2000 (upstate...not the city) ... I have had quite a few drinks in the back of a limo. I'm not sure of the legal implications of it...but the drivers never had an issue (and have stopped to let us pick stuff up).

N965VJ likes this.
  8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey Outback, I want a Bloomin' Onion on my flight! :(

N965VJ and chrislacey like this.
  9. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think limos get around open container laws by having the vehicle registered as a for hire transport.