staying @ transit hotel

Discussion in 'SIN | Singapore Changi Airport' started by MalcoveMagnesia, Feb 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I decided to take advantage of Delta's recent ~$700 East Coast to Singapore deal, and since I've already been to Singapore a few times, I'm cashing in a few SkyPesos to take the non-stop from Singapore to Hanoi.

The layover between the two sets of flights is over 12 hours but not over 15 hours; and the flights to VN depart from Terminal 1 while flights to the U.S. depart from Terminal 3.

So questions I have about the Ambassador Transit Hotel would be this:

1) can I collect my checked luggage between those sets of flights and go to the transit hotels without the hassle of clearing customs?

2) how do I get between terminal transit areas without having to clear customs?

3) do these hotels have WiFi availability in the rooms and how much do they cost?

4) The cost for a stay of about 12 hours at the transit hotels is about $140 USD (or 175 SGD), but if I see a deal for the Crowne Plaza attached to Terminal 3 (which is where I depart from for the return to the U.S.), should I go for that instead? Right now the price I'm seeing at the Crowne Plaza is $265 USD.

Thanks for any advice you can come up with!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all, I think you have the terminals confused. DL at SIN uses T1 while a lot of *A carriers are in T2/3 in general. T1 T2 and T3 are all connected airside. It's a large airport, but follow the signs. There's a small train airside, although IIRC it stops for a few hours in the middle of the night and is replaced by an airside shuttle bus but I prefer to just walk. The budget terminal is not connected and requires passing through customs and immigration; it provides few services.

1) to use the transit hotel, you must do it before going through immigration or getting checked luggage. If possible check your luggage through (interline it between carriers when you check in for your first flight) to your final destination. Keep minimal items you need for overnight in a small carryon.

2) see above

3) internet is generally available for free in SIN. There are even some free internet connected computers that you can use (standing up) but I don't recall seeing printers outside of lounges. I don't know whether the airport's wifi extends into the transit hotel or the mechanics of using it, but I think you can get a free code good for a number of hours from an information counter anywhere in the terminals.

4) are you sure? this price seems high. remember than if you have 12 hours between flights you will not have 12 hours in the hotel room. allow time to deplane and find the transit hotel and then to check in and go to your flight. The CP rate sounds like a pretty good price compared to what I tend to see being offered for this property, which looks very nice but perhaps a bit wasteful if you can't enjoy the facilities for more than 9-10 hours. To stay in the CP, you must first go through immigration and customs (very efficient at SIN) and then passport control to get airside in the morning. IIRC the hotel is right next to the terminal, but you must go outside (heat and humidity at all hours) to get to its entrance.

SIN provides some amazing and free things to do while waiting: butterflies, cacti, ornamental fish, a variety of food at different price points, a movie theater, lots of shops although duty free is not so impressive IMO, lounges, a big slide, plane spotting decks, hawker center food landside, a big swimming pool that unfortunately is not open 24/7, etc.

If you want to save money, the transit hotels have some cheaper rooms without ensuite facilities. Some lounges, including some of the pay for entry contract lounges and those that accept priority pass, have showers as well as snacks. There are quite areas designated for sleeping, but of course watch your belongings if you decide to nap outside of a locked room.

IDGflygirl and MalcoveMagnesia like this.
  3. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yesss, you are right. Delta uses Terminal 1 while Vietnam Air is using Terminal 3 (according to this airport information page).

Packing a carry-on for the next day's travel clothes will be what I will have to do, if I am using the transit hotels. Can one interline luggage with a 12-16 hour layover, and is it generally safe?

I'd love to use the Crowne Plaza but it's a toss-up for me now that I realize I'll be departing from Terminal 1 (which means a looong walk or bus ride at 4 to 5 in the morning when it's time to check in for a flight on Delta).

4. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I'd do is get a 6-hr block, get a shower, and sleep 5 hr. There's
    plenty of stuff to do during the rest of your layover. Also, there is no
    wi-fi within the transit hotels, so you can't just kick back and read
    your e-mail. The wi-fi (wired connections are also available in a
    few places) throughout the rest of the airport is pretty decent.

Interlining is fine, and SIN is pretty much the last place I'd think
    something would be stolen.

It's easy to get between terminals at SIN except between 2:30 and
    5:30: there's one set of trains inside security and another outside.
    If you have to go between terminals in the wee hours, the walk is
    not too horrible.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know you are asking about the SIN transit hotels, my advice would be to state if you haven't been to SIN before, you are missing out by not getting into the city. You can sleep as much as you want when you're dead.

6. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, I mentioned in the first sentence of my original post that I've been to Singapore 2 or 3 times already. That was part of the motivation to continue along to see something new.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    my bad, I reacted instinctively to the transit hotel discussion as I've been part of discussions with folks who have never been to SIN yet were only going to stay in the transit hotel for their MR.

desamo likes this.
  8. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Updating my old thread here and of course, Delta bolluxed things up. It turns out that they could not interline my luggage onto VN as Delta's baggage system only allows four segments to be printed on a bag tag (and the VN segment would have been # 5).

So my checked luggage is going to spit out on the Terminal 1 bag claim belt while my Transit Hotel stay is in Terminal 3.

My current thinking is that I should stay in the Terminal 3 Transit Hotel for my originally scheduled 11 hours, then zip back to Terminal 1 and hope I can claim my bag at that point and then re-check it onto VN "land" (ex-Transit) side.

But will Delta's baggage claim office be open in the middle of the day (since Delta's flights arrive at midnight)? Is it a shared baggage office (i.e. all SkyTeam airlines together) or?

Also, this thread post seems to indicate that I might be able to print out my VN boarding pass upon arrival in SIN and exit the transit area to get my bag and then re-enter the transit area, even though the flight is 12 hours after my arrival? Think this might work?

Thanks for any suggestions you all might have out there. I'll let you know how it turns out, once I get there.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have your boarding pass (including the security check on flights to the USA, where you cannot complete OLCI before talking with them at the airport), you can enter airside up to 48 hours before your flight at SIN. I would try to get the boarding pass at an airside transit desk or lounge upon arrival at SIN. I'm not sure how easy it is to find a place where you can print from a computer there do-it-yourself style.

10. modhop

modhop Silver Member

Status Points: