Staying on points with more than 2 people

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Maximizer, Jun 28, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

The hotel I'm considering allows up to 4 people in the standard room on paid stays, but I guess reward nights never allow more than 2 people. So what will happen if I book a reward night and then we show up with the kids? Will they refuse to check in, or insist on paying a surcharge, or what?

I'm thinking that the best course of action would be to arrange this with the hotel directly. In your experience, are they usually accommodating with such "side" arrangements?

I'm looking at CP Prague for the immediate future, but any related experiences or insights are appreciated.

Thanks!

2. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that this was a change about a year ago. I had been looking at hotels in Paris and one day all if the hotels were at a 2 person maximum, even if they can accommodate 4 people.

It seemed that many of the hotels in Europe adopted the same policy. If they do have standard rooms that allow 4 people, you will need to contact the hotel. Most of them will negotiate a cash payment for their "upgraded" room.

Maximizer likes this.
  3. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check booking.com to see the child policy - they are pretty accurate. We have 3 kids are they are still too little to have their own room.

If you don't ask for extra beds then you should be ok as long as they said kids stay free with existing bedding.

One thing to avoid all these hassle: 1 of you check-in on your own, get the keycards and get the rest in.

My friend had a recent experience in a HIE close to AMS: They are a family of 3, their little girl is 5. They arrived at the hotel at 11pm and everyone showed up at check-in. They told them that they have to get a second room for the little one since it's against fire regulation. My friend had a prepaid booking so they can't just go away and go to another hotel. So the hotel charged them rack-rate for the second room. The next day they check-out of the second room and then walked in and out separately to avoid being spotted.

It happened to us at Marriott Hamburg too. We all walked to check-in and the same fire regulation BS came out, we are both elite with MR but it didn't help. We had a flex booking so that in the worst case we just drive home a day early. The receptionist 'talked' to her manager and they said they could 'overlook' the fire regulation by us paying an 'upgrade' for EUR 40 (it's not an upgrade really).

After all these incidents, we have decided to just one check-in and then the rest go in afterwards, no matter what the kids policy say.

iolaire and Maximizer like this.
  4. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I'm understanding this correctly, hotels are saying that it is "against fire regulations" to have more than 2 persons in a room if booked with points, but no such regulations apply for a cash booking?! If true, it sounds like extortion to me.

In 2014 I will be traveling to England and Scotland with my wife and 4 young step kids and use my Hilton and Marriott points for hotel stays. We were planning to book two rooms (3 in each room) but now it sounds like I will have to lie and pretend that we're actually only traveling with 2 children at the risk of being asked (forced) to buy a third room ...unbelievable!

5. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    It really is hotel dependent. For Priority Club, many of the hotels in Europe have determined that the standard room only allows for 2 people and anything else is a upgrade and not bookable on points.

It looks like the Crowne Plaza Prague allows 3 people on an award booking, but 4 people will require an upgrade to the KING CP CLUB TOWER SUITE. In these circumstances, you would have to contact the hotel and ask to pay a surcharge to upgrade the room. It looks like the difference in price is about €100+/- per night.

For Hilton, premium rooms are bookable on points - it just might cost you an arm and a leg in points.

For Marriott, it actually looks like they have the upgrades automated at the time of booking. Here is the Marriott Park Lane:

Marriott Rewards Redemption with Cash Upgrade

45,000 points for stay
    eCertificate plus 40 GBP required per night
    Mayfair room, Guest room, 1 King or Queen or Twin/Single Bed(s), City view
    Reward rules Room details

45,000 points for stay
    eCertificate plus 75 GBP required per night
    Club room, Executive lounge access, Guest room, King or Twin/Single Bed(s)

45,000 points for stay
    eCertificate plus 470 GBP required per night

Park Suite, Executive lounge access, 1 Bedroom Executive Suite, King

FlyingFree likes this.
  6. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:

Hilton said their policy has always been 1 kid per room free no matter how big the room is.

I have an impression that it's particularly bad in the UK, Italy and Austria where hotel counts heads rather than room.

My advice is to check booking.com to see what the policy is like, if they allow kids under 12 to stay in parent's room then you should be fine with 2 rooms.

We experienced the most generous upgrades when we don't check-in with kid.

FlyingFree likes this.
  7. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:

An upgrade can sometimes cause a problem for families traveling. say you booked 2 double beds then the hotel not knowing you have kids upgrades you to a king, or a junior suite king, or something with only one bed. Just be careful of upgrades, if you need a specific room.

I agree about checking in alone, confirming the room, and then bringing in the rest of the family.
    if a room has two beds then I'm not paying an extra person charge.
    If however you need more bedding or a roll away brought in, then you may have to pay.

8. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:

We always bring sleeping gears such as travel cot, extra blanket and sleeping bags because you never know whether you'll be getting a 2 queens (mostly outside the US), or the hotel runs out of the room type you asked for (we get the Marriott bed type guarantee but if we are not staying at Marriott then there is a risk). So for us what matter is space - our oldest one will be 8 soon, so they are not quite ready to be in their own room yet.

9. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

Has anyone ever have been turned away because they were spotted with extra children? We're now looking at a hotel that allows 2 adults and 1 child in a standard room. The room says "2 twin beds" which I assume are queens. But when I asked nicely over email about having 2 children in one bed, they flat out said no "due to security reasons" (amazing that this BS reason for all restrictions is spreading outside the US).

I'm just wondering how easy it is really to sneak in like that? Especially if you arrive by taxi to the reception, the bellhop lets you all out and takes your bags, can you really quietly split up from the rest of the family and reconnect later? :) Never had to do that before :) Probably depends on the property layout and such, too.

Once you are past check-in I assume it's safe. In theory staff might get aware and report you, but unlikely, right?