Staying in Downtown Atlanta

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Singapore Flyer, Mar 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I was hoping I could get some suggestions or thoughts on where to stay in Downtown Atlanta. I have a 4 day conference, but will stay between 4 and 5 nights. It is a SHRM conference...firm is picking up the tab, so not concerned with price within reason. The conference is at the Georgia World Congress Center next to CNN Tower. Due to the recent "promos" I have Hilton Gold and Marriott Silver. I do have the SPG Amex to try to start building up my stay/nights. Any suggestions how to leverage this to the best and have the best experience, much appreciated.

flyingdawg likes this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you looked for any of the recent Hilton promos on the Hilton section of this forum -- there are some good ones around, but they expire at the end of the month. With a little bit of effort, you might be able to pick up as many as 9,000 bonus points for your stay.

Atlanta is very easy to get around on Marta, so you won't need a car.

DTWBIB

flyingdawg likes this.
  3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info on the public transportation...most of the hotels I am looking at were "pre-qualified" so they will have a shuttle if I don't just walk...unless that is a bad idea. I was leaning towards booking at three places and then see what deals come out to make my decision...like one at Marriott, Hilton, SPG and maybe the Embassy Suites. I would love a deal like the current Hilton one.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The embassy suites at centennial park is very convenient to GWCC and the Aquarium and World of Coke. Not too bad a walk to several MARTA stations either. Seems like there was a blog post on BoardingArea about that hotel just today. There's also a pretty new W that's a short drive away.

I highly recommend eating at The Vortex if you like burgers--of any non-beef variety as well. Mary Macs is a good southern place not too far away. If you want to stay close to the hotel, there are several places at CNN center, although I have found them to be less consistent during slower times than their counterparts at other locations.

flyingdawg likes this.