Staying Healthy

Discussion in 'Off Topic/Social' started by vickers, Oct 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wanted to see how everyone here stay healthy, especially on business travel.

I currently count calories and exercise at least 3x per week. My favorite apps/devices are my Fitbit, Runtastic Pro, and LoseIt! (also have the apps on my iPhone). Im still losing very slowly, but its better than gaining. :)

When I travel, I like to eat, so counting goes out the window. I do try to jog in areas I am travelling though, as opposed to hitting the fitness center. Id just prefer to be outside I guess.

So, what gadgets do you use to stay healthy, and have you been successful?

tondoleo, uggboy and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No gadgets, just a wife- Mrs Gargoyle. She keeps an eye on what I do and what I eat, for some reason she wants to be sure I stick around for a long time.

tondoleo, uggboy and vickers like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Walking, healthy food, some fresh air, lot's of travel etc. :) Cooking with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. :cool:

tondoleo, Gargoyle and vickers like this.
  4. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My suggestion is watch what you eat and how much you eat when you travel. Just because there is food available, does not mean you eat it. Eating the wrong things at hotel breakfast buffets and then hitting the lounge at night are a recipe for gaining weight, if you do not pay attention to what you are consuming. Dishes like egg white omelets for breakfast, snacks of vegetables in the lounge at night with a wine or beer, and an evening meal of fish or chicken with a salad will put you on the right track.

Avoid eating high carb and high sugar foods at every meal, as they convert to sugar and become fat when you are inactive. Although you may not make it to the gym as frequently when traveling, the main thing is to make certain that you are NOT inactive for long periods of time. Go and see sites and walk every day. If you walk several miles a day and keep moving, then you will burn off what you take in. Try making a food diary and writing down everything you eat for the whole day for a couple of weeks. Then figure out how many calories you are taking in and how much you are burning off.

uggboy and vickers like this.
  5. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    My food journal and I are divorced when I travel. I chose the stairs when given a choice, walk instead of taxi/bus and then enjoy the food and wine in moderation to indulge in the sweets. I rarely go to gym on the road but carry a band to stretch and do exercises in room

uggboy and vickers like this.
  6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always pack gym clothes with every intention of hitting the gym each morning.... Yeah, that does not happen.

But I do wear my Fitbit, and do hit my goal of 10K steps a day.

uggboy and Sammich like this.