Stay with one airline to start?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Glitch, Feb 9, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Glitch

Glitch Member

Status Points:
    I have a trip booked to Osaka Japan from Boston with United. I'm planning on getting a new credit card for the trip since it will be about 3 weeks and will be spending plenty to hit the sign up bonus.

Should I get a united mileage card and build more miles/points with united?
    Can I combine my frequent flyer miles from united with my points from the card?

Or should I start building points with another airline like American Airlines which look like they might become my go to airline later on.

thanks,
    happy travels!

satman40 likes this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I often fly one airline to Asia only to return on another, as mileage opertunities change,

United is a Chase card, so Sapphire, Ink and many others can also increase your number if sign up bonus's..

Citi and Amex is great for AA.

Enjoy the ride,

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you get the UA credit card the points go directly into your MileagePlus account once you pay the bill.

Splitting points into multiple accounts generally makes them less valuable. If this is truly a one-off trip then don't sweat it. Also keep in mind that UA awards points for travel based on your fare, not the distance, so the trip might not earn you many points anyways.

Do make sure that whatever card you get does not charge a fee for foreign transactions; those add up in a hurry. Also keep in mind that much of Japan is still a cash-based society. We almost got stuck in Nagiso as my cash supply was running low and the train station wouldn't accept CCs for a ticket. :eek: If you stay in major cities this is less of an issue, but still can come up at some places.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Splitting points between accounts makes them less valuable, unless the individual accounts have enough points to redeem for what you want. In other words, if you have hundreds of thousands of miles in one airline, you gain flexibility by building up another account and diversifying at that point. But until you "have enough" - adding miles to the pool that is closest to "having enough" is typically the most valuable.

However, don't overvalue and overpay for miles. Don't pay $200 more for a ticket that gets you e.g. $20 in miles, absent other reasons to do so.

Dublin_rfk and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    With 3 weeks, get multiple cards if you'll spend enough to meet or closely me 2 sign up bonuses. If you stick w/United, get the United Explorer and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Sapphire Preferred Ultimate Rewards transfer to many partners including United.

satman40 likes this.
  6. MildSoft05

MildSoft05 Member

Status Points:
    Hi, for me, you should stay with one airlines only.

satman40 likes this.
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me it is UA, AA and WN, everyone has different needs.

My Delta, Avios, and Luthansa miles kind of set..

After a while you can not use them all, so they end up given away.

Kind of like a garden, the fun is seeing them grow..