Stay Switching to Diamond?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Handleman20, Nov 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick question...

If I travel into a city that has multiple properties, and hotel-hop for each night (1 night at Garden, 1 night at Hampton, 1 night at Homewood, etc.), would that count as 3 "stays"? I suddenly have a feeling that I could have been diamond all year!

Tenmoc and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    In our experience, staying in the same city, but changing the Hilton Family property has always counted towards each stay eg. Friday night = one Hilton at the airport and Saturday night = another Hilton in the city = 2 stays posted and so on!:)

Handleman20 likes this.
  3. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP Handleman20. Yes. Hotel Hopping is a common practice for many of us on here.
    You can swap between two properties going back and forth every other day. The only key is you can not check out and check back in to the same hotel. Any back to back nights in the same property even if you check out and check in will be 1 stay.

Admittedly, this is the only way I keep my Diamond.

uggboy and ACMM like this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is exactly how I have kept it the past two years. Stays. Gone are the days of making it on nights or points.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)

Tenmoc and uggboy like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone had their work mgr/company question hotel hopping while on business travel? (as it was my employer who was paying my travel expenses)

I did once, I replied that switching hotels is on my time after the work day, I still don't think he was convinced but I was a top performer so he let it lay.

uggboy likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure that it was that manager's business to ask you if you were property-hopping because it is your money, your schedule, your decision. Just recently, I did a mileage run to Buenos Aires to ensure that I would requalify my UA 1K status, and made it a point to tell the UA agent at the airport that the trip was nothing more than a mileage run, to which she simply smiled approvingly. So, if airline attendants understand and even admiringly condone mileage runs (including short multi-city ones) to requal one's elite status, why should hotel managers view property-hopping with suspicion? The only rule is that back to back stays at the same property would count as one stay. However, even that rule was broken for me at the end of last year. I needed just a few thousand points by Dec 31, 2010 to requalify for diamond. So, I booked a stay at Hilton Singapore that would have gotten me the necessary points by 12/31. However, I had not planned on leaving Singapore until Jan 2011, and if I stayed at the same property until Jan 2011, then the points for the stay would have been credited in January, leaving me short of requalifying for 2011. Because I did not want to hotel-hop, I decided to tell the manager my dilemma: Can I check out on 12/31 to make sure that the points would count toward my status requalification and then check right back in so that I would not have to move to another hotel? He said that was a HH problem and suggested that I call diamond desk, where I was told that they understood the situation and that I should just go ahead and stay at the same property, and they would make sure that I would be credited the points necessary by 12/31 to requalify me for diamond. They even sent me an email requesting that I check back to see if I had requalified. Here's the kicker: while the back-to-back stays still counted as one as usual, the points for the stay (some ~30k base) were both credited to my account for January 2011 AND used to requalify my status by 12/31/2010! When the counters get wiped out after 12/31, mine never read 0.0...I had started the race to requalify for 2012 with the tank one-third already filled, and easily crossed the finish line by August...

uggboy likes this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect his employer was paying the bills...

My understanding was that the manager was his manager, not a hotel manager.

uggboy and Tenmoc like this.
  8. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that his employer manager, not the hotel manager was inquiring.

uggboy likes this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    both correct, I will go back & edit my post, sorry for the confusion NYCUA1K.

Tenmoc likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My fault for not reading closely enough...Will pay closer attention in the future, but I am happy I got to share my experience about the one time when HH did break the rule about back-to-back stays counting as one...

Cheers!

Tenmoc and Sweet Willie like this.