Stay near HKG?

Discussion in 'HKG | Hong Kong International Airport' started by skyvan, May 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it worth it to stay near the airport? I have a day where I have a 1pm flight and I'm wondering if it is worth it to stay near the airport or if the transportation from the Intercontinental Stanford area is reasonably reliable enough to just leave at around 10:30 and still make my flight...if not I'm planning to stay near HKG.

Your help is much appreciated.
    Thanks everybody in advance.

2. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    If your flight is at that time I see no reason to stay near the airport. Taxi to the train station and the airport express from there wouldn't be a problem at all.

daninstl, uggboy, karung99 and 2 others like this.
  3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    2.5 hours to HKG? Easy peasy.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would stay in town in nearly every situation. The transit is incredibly easy and reliable on the train. Departures prior to 8am are probably where I'd start to consider staying near the airport.

5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a free shuttle bus from the Intercontinental Stanford to the Kowloon Airport Express station every 12 minutes. Once at the station you can check in and check any bags. Then get on the train and relax. The train runs frequently and takes around 20 minutes or so from Kowloon. Load of time to get to the airport for a 1:00 p.m. flight.

6. pmvalle

pmvalle New Member

Status Points:
    you can actually check in early morning at Kowloon station ( Elements Shopping complex) leave your bags ... go enjoy yourself ... and 2 hours or so before your flight ...catch the train (around 20 minutes) ... and wizz thru customs ... and your done!!
    If you enjoy nice food and shopping... do go earlier has HKA is a quite pleasant airport!

daninstl, uggboy and karung99 like this.
  7. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Security can back up at HKG and there is no special line - even for CX International F passengers.

uggboy and daninstl like this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know this is an old thread but I thought I would update it a little.
    HKG is a big airport with standard security lines but also an immigration line for non citizens so there are two lines that can slow down some. The upside is that the Airport Express train service from Central is very good, clean, fast (40 or so minutes) and cheap. Taxi's are fairly cheap as well. I would suggest a taxi to/from Disney or Discovery Bay personally just because it cost about the same and is faster than a station change or shuttle to the train station.

Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  9. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct - you may spend more time waiting to go through the security checkpoint and immigration then you do on the train from downtown. And as I pointed out - no priority line even for CX F.

daninstl, Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  10. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    And for early morning departures (when traffic will not be an issue) I took the cityflyer yellow bus from Fortress Hill to HKG in just about an hour. I beleive I left just before 6:00 am. it was 40 HKG (about $5 USD) and I was very pleased with the service. Thanks and Safe Travels

daninstl likes this.
  11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Leaving the city for the airport 2.5 hours before flight departure as the OP suggests, though, I wouldn't imagine you'd have much risk of missing a flight. I've done similar, "suffered" through the immigration/security lines at HKG (which move pretty quickly), and had lounge time to burn. Are you suggesting otherwise?

daninstl likes this.
  12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you plan on visiting Hong Kong frequently, it's worth signing up for the eChannel service. This is offered to members of several frequent flyer programmes. As an Air Canada Elite member, I was able to sign up a few years ago, and had it renewed for my new passport last fall. The system is quick and efficient. It won't change the wait for security, but it does get you through immigration quickly.

See http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/echannel_visitors.html

daninstl likes this.
  13. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You have to have elite status. Tried with plain NH status, it was a no go.

YULtide and daninstl like this.
  14. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you need elite status, though not mega elite status. I got registered as an AC E50K, which, as the name suggests, only requires 50K miles. Mid-tier, not top-tier.