Stay Certificates for Dummies

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Jul 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I am looking for the first time at Stay Certificates to see if they can bring down the cost of a two-night stay at the PH Hamburg (EUR 285/night seems best rate I can find). And I am not quite sure I fully understand how they work.

Looking at https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/products/CertsStay.aspx there are different "levels" at different prices.

And looking at the table of participating properties, it seems that Hamburg accepts Inspire, Elite and Premier certificates. These are the prices for the certificates:

Premier Level (US $185 per night)
    Elite Level (US $249 per night)
    Inspire Level (US $319 per night)

Does that mean I can buy a Premier level stay certificate for $185 * 2 and get a room at the PH Hamburg? And do they accept the higher level because, well, someone might be silly enough to use one of those instead of the cheaper ones? (or more likely, receive one as a gift)

Are rooms bookable with stay certificates capacity-controlled, or can I assume I can get one if a standard room is available?

uggboy likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yes, a Premier stay certificate works here. And they're happy to take a more expensive certificate if that's what you happen to have. :)

Yes, the rooms are capacity controlled, they used to be fairly tightly controlled back when award nights were as well, I don't know how tightly controlled they are these days.

Just call up Hyatt and ask whether there's any availability for the nights you want.

uggboy and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And remember that certificate stays do not earn stay/night credit.

uggboy likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah it's not for me, it's truly a gift for a non-member, but I don't necessarily want to buy a certificate and then not be able to apply it. So thanks for clarifying. I'll call tomorrow about availability.

uggboy likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad to hear, read about this too in T&C's!;):(