Status

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by Efilon87, Feb 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ive never held a status with an alliance, but I hope 2012/13 will change that. I just travel for fun (Im not employed with a company that would let me travel for business) and try to travel as often as I can. I have the most miles with *A. I know to attain a status you have to actually be seated on the plane and travel from A to B. What is the easiest way though? Segments or Miles? MR? Thanks for your input!!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on a lot, starting with your travel pattern. Is your goal status for its own sake, lounge access, free checked bags, elite check in and security lines, upgrades, award tickets, or something else?

3. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I mean the status would be nice to have, but I would love the perks that came with it. Upgrades are a big thing, been on the waiting list way too many times and never bumped up. The bags arent that big of a deal since i have the new continental card (I heard rumors that that will change over to United?).

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades can be based on paying a fee which can be as big as the fare difference between the ticket purchased and FC or biz, using upgrade instruments such s miles or earned SWUs, or free, usually only for domestic flights where FC is not so wonderful.

Usually it is much easier to get upgrades on the carrier on which you have status, so it might make sense to credit miles to the airline you actually fly. However, most upgrades go to top tier elites and upgrades can require expensive fares.