Status (Miles), Convenience or Cost?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by raph, Mar 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi,

I just generally wonder where you put your priorities:
    Status (Miles), Convenience or Cost?

I am now (once again) facing a situation where business requires me to travel...

I could fly LH non-stop (convenient), or I could fly IB via MAD (inconvenient but helping me retain my Oneworld Status) and having difficulties making that call.

Finally sometimes cost is another big factor. Not in this case (price is almost identical), but in a previous situation for example I had to decide whether to fly FR :mad: non-stop for $150 or fly a legacy carrier with one-stop for $550. Despite my general opinion that FR is inappropriate for business travel, I preferred FR in that instance.

What's your opinion? Where do you draw the line?

Tenmoc likes this.
  2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Generally, I'll stick to my alliance, as long as it's not too ridiculously out of bounds. The one time I flew on a non-alliance airline was last year when I flew CHI-CMH on WN as opposed to UA. MDW was out of the way, but the ticket was $249 compared to $1129 on UA (only F out, full Y return available). Of course, after that, I swore never to fly out of MDW again and to try MKW if I ever faced a similar situation.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I almost always stick with the carrier(s)/alliance(s) on which I have status, not only for the perks but also so that I will be better taken care of if IROPs happen.

4. ab3i
    Original Member

ab3i Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about time, how long is the layover? Will you have to leave at at earlier date/time in order to make the connection? I used to take connections over non-stops for my preferred alliance/airline, but i stopped doing that after a few cancelled / delayed flights.

5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me I'm a 100% leisure flyer. So the cheaper I can get my status worked out the happier I am.

That said there are also trips where destination is more important than miles.

When the gap between cost for in alliance vs out becomes equivalent to what I feel I can later mileage run the miles for I will go for the cheaper option. As for nonstop vs connections, it depends on my schedule but if costs are the same I can't think of a connection causing me to fly out of alliance.

viguera likes this.
  6. 1:00 layover each way - total travel time increasing by approximately 2 hours each way.

I now decided for the non-stop as LH is a lot better than IB imho... I really decided to avoid IB on my last trips, while I'm keen on the tier points, it's not worth potentially ruining my whole day being on uncomfortable flights and risking to miss my connection at MAD.

Tenmoc likes this.
  7. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stick with the airline alliance I have most of the time - unless there is a major disparity in the price, like the 150 vs 550 you originally noted.

If the prices are close, and I feel I can absorb the time for a layover, AND I earn significant extra miles for the layover then I will take it as though it were a mileage run. If there is minimal difference in miles (typically when the layover is somewhere in the middle of points A and B)... then I don't bother though.
    • I have to have the time, cost justify it AND actually benefit from doing so.

8. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For leisure, I would go direct but for busines, if the timing was not so bad or I had a bit of flexibility, i wouldn't mind the stop over. I no longer fly often for business but I remember a time where I flew almost every week for a month or so, in such a situation, I'd always recommend direct as it gets annoying to stop.

ETA: I would pick LH over IB as well, sounds like you made your decision.

9. Indeed, I made my decision, but I do of course still care for your opinions. :)

I guess in this particular case it's a matter of convenience and business hours.

Unusually for me, both flights are in the middle of a business day - and I am very busy these days, so can't really afford to be unavailable for long. Furthermore, I am very close to requalifying for BA Silver (yet Gold is almost out of reach), so I am confident not to require those flights for Status.

DonV.Smith likes this.