Status Miles become Atltitude qualifying miles

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by mtlfire, Jan 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada Altitude – updates and qualification

March 1, 2013 will mark the much anticipated launch of Air Canada Altitude, the new name for the Air Canada Top Tier Program.
    Offering a wide range of priority travel services, lounge access, and upgrades to make travel as comfortable and seamless as possible, and featuring the introduction of two new status levels, Air Canada Altitude will allow us to better recognize and reward our most frequent flyers.
    Altitude Qualifying Miles and Segments
    With the arrival of Altitude, we're also renaming our current Status Miles and Status Flight Segments:
    • Status Miles become Altitude Qualifying Miles (AQM)
    • Status Flight Segments become Altitude Qualifying Segments (AQS)
    The AQM and AQS you earn between January 1 and December 31, 2013 on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines will allow you to reach Altitude status in 2014.
    And just like Status Miles today, Altitude Qualifying Miles are also Aeroplan Miles which you can redeem for exciting Aeroplan Rewards.
    To find out more
    To learn more about earning Altitude Qualifying Miles and Segments, click on the dedicated ‘Miles & Privileges’ tab at the top of our site.
    We also invite you to discover all the advantages of Air Canada Altitude along with the latest information about the launc

SQ LPP, uggboy and guinnessxyz like this.
  2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    "In addition, with the new partnership with United Airlines, 2014 will see a new joint qualifying mileage system call Altitude Qualifying United Airlines Segments (AQUAS), awarded only when flying over water, plus four more top tier levels which will allow for enhanced mechanisms to award our frequent flyers."

canucklehead and tomh009 like this.
  3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think your quote may have been slightly off so I fixed it for you. ;)

4. Nice fix:D
    I don't see AC wanting to destroy or "frustrate" the "SE BRAND" per se and while they will introduce a spend level I still think it will be reasonable and the miles needed unchanged. SE is still a well regarded Tier program, even outside of AC.

5. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    A new spend level, ala Delta -- isn't that much like the already required segments and miles on AC metal? If you're requiring me to fly AC metal, you're requiring me to spend $$ on AC and not just partners.

YULtide likes this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    SE may be good, but if SEs are continuably not able to redeem the e-upgrades then the value of SE will diminish significantly.

YULtide likes this.
  7. I haven't ever missed an e-upgrade yet that I wanted to get and am 100% on long haul flights always booking T+. I will have gone through everyone of my 2012 ecerts by March 1 and last year passed 140K Q miles while also buying two passes..

8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

apologies, my comment was meant to tie in upcoming changes you had alluded to in the other thread re: priority based on $$/ticket. Yes, SE has strong top tier appeal, but if the possible changes come into play, I can see it losing value.

YULtide likes this.
  9. I also don't think the revenue based upgrades will change much. 90% of the Frequent travellers buy T+ or lower and the system will be geared to make sure that T+ revenue gets locked in.

10. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and I have a good a good percentage, too, probably 80-90%. But if I am driven into non-upgradeable T fares, I will indeed end up with a bunch of unusable eUpgrade credits at the end of the year. The price difference between Tango and Flex for flights to Asia is huge at the moment.

canucklehead and YULtide like this.
  11. Yes that's true but T+ fares have risen over the last year and the lowest fares were never that cheap before. Something else is going on in the fare separation with AC. The cost of buying miles from AE is not any real part of that cost difference so AC is onto something else in line with their rouge model

12. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point on Asia. The difference was big enough for us that we flew United in November to HKG. This year we will think long and hard about whether the very significant difference in price was worth the very significant difference in experience and inconvenient schedule. Tough call. For $2000 extra we just might go AC.

The trouble with T fares, aside from non-upgradeability, is the difficulty in accumulating status miles (oops, I mean AQMs).

As to using up eCerts, I have 21 burning a hole in my pocket and hope to use the bulk of them up in a couple of weeks. I'll try the new system out in April with a TATL flight.

13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The incremental cost of Flex for YYZ-LHR was about $200 R/T earlier this week, while the same for YYZ-NRT was about $1400. I don't understand why there is such an enormous gap between Tango and Flex for flights to Asia.

YULtide likes this.
  14. Competition or lack thereof. AC is flying full loads to Asia most days although January is not a good month to see that. AC's M class fare to BKK via HKG or NRT is $1200 more than last year at the same time while H class is about $800 more.

15. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand the (lack of) competition aspect ... but then why is AC dumping the Tango fares to Asia?

16. Part of the rouge strategy which has yet to be fully rolled out. When they get a plane that will bear rouge colours that can go to Asia Tango fares will be what they will sell and mainline will have mostly T+ and higher availability. that's what I've heard in any event

17. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at the fares in detail (with KVS Tool), I now see what's going on with the Asia fares: the only Flex (nee Tango+) fares AC is offering on those routes are M and U, the two most expensive Flex fares. H, Q, V, W and S fares are simply not offered to Asia, although they are to Europe. Is this part of some great experiment to completely eliminate those fare classes?

18. [KVS Availability Tool 7.1.2/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
    Code:
    YYZ  Toronto Pearson Intl ON CA [CYYZ]
    HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
    THU  24 Jan 2013
    Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -----------------------------------------------------------------
    [B]AC         15     [/B] YYZ   10:00     HKG   14:30     77L      R1 Y9 B9 M9 U9 [B]H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 N9 G9 P9 E9 A9[/B] J9 C9 D3 Z2
    [B]AC         1[/B]       YYZ   12:00     NRT   15:10     77W      R6 Y9 B9 M9 U9 [B]H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 N9 G9 P9 E9 A9[/B] J9 C9 D9 Z9

Not sure where you are seeing that but here are two asia flights very close in , this Thursday, where all T+ and T classes are still wide open as shown on KVS. I just checked a bunch of other dates in Feb and March to NRT and HKG . Both flights have virtually all buckets open.

19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is for beginning of March -- exact same situation for beginning of February, though:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.2/Diamond - Sabre: Availability/FS/US]
    Code:
    NRT  Tokyo Narita JP [RJAA]
    SAT  02 Mar 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -----------------------------------------------------------------
    AC        1      YYZ  12:00    NRT  15:10    77W      R0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T0 L0 K0 N9 G9 P9 E0 A0 J9 C9 D9 Z1

But now look at the available fares -- nothing available between N (Tango) and H (Flex). S, Q, V, W are all missing in action. Same for YYZ-HKG. And you can see the results on aircanada.com, too, with a huge gap between Tango and FLex prices.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.2/Diamond - Sabre: Fares/DotRes/US]
    Code:
    NRT  Tokyo Narita JP [RJAA]
    R/T  02 Mar 2013 | 09 Mar 2013 | All

Carrier    From    To    Fare      Cur                      Fare Basis/TD
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
    AC        YTO    TYO      718  CAD                      ELWCJT
    AC        YTO    TYO      791  CAD                      TLWCJT
    AC        YTO    TYO      924  CAD                      PLWCJT
    AC        YTO    TYO      1049  CAD                      PLWCJ
    AC        YTO    TYO      1224  CAD                      NLWCJ
    AC        YTO    TYO      2121  CAD                      HLWCJ
    AC        YTO    TYO      2238  CAD                      ULWCJ
    AC        YTO    TYO      2627  CAD                      MLWCJ

20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    ouch, that is a steep climb in fares!

YULtide and tomh009 like this.
  21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just because the inventory is there doesn't mean there are published fares. My guess is that they are publishing fares ex-USA in the lower buckets but not for fares ex-Canada. Just like how United offers lower fares for Canadian origins in some cases heading to Asia. Competition is a wacky, wacky thing.

tomh009 likes this.
  22. I just called AC and asked for S fares on those dates and they gave them to me. About $1500/1600 all in which compare to T fares on line but are T+ according to the agent. I think the AC on line res system is acting somewhat funny these days and hasn't had the system upgrade it needs to cope with fare buckets they seem to have re-created. They are certainly focused on H for T+ which may be a sign of things to come. I will be calling in for specific long haul fares for the next little while until I see that things have settled down. It is interesting to note that Latitude fares and Z class have not changed much if at all so it appears they are trying to hit a "sweet spot" in an attempt to raise fares.

23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, S is Flex. But all travel agents (and online reservation systems, with the possible exception of AC's own) are able to book is what AC is feeding into Sabre, above.

If this is an AC systems problem, I suppose that's a good thing. But in that case, how is it possible that no one at AC has spotted it?

Wandering Aramean's suggestion makes sense, and there are some extra fares available ex-US (for the cities I checked) but no fares for those seats in the Q, V, W, S classes.

24. 1. TA's have their own "hot line" to AC and if they are smart enough to spot missing buckets on Sabre there is an avenue for them to get those fares, although thye should not have to. the same actually works in reverse with M fares never showing on sabre either; M being the highest T+ fare out there. I use M at times when its much lower than B and where I feel I may need to have that fare in terms of my upgrade which I value a lot on long hauls.

2. I just think sabre might have its limitations and Ac is showing median fares on line. In any event I don't like the ethics of this type of booking limitations.

3. Wandering has only posted what we have always known about fares ex US. Each fare bucket is priced from a particular point of origin so that's not the issue. I just requested a LGA/NRT RT on the same March dates and H came up as the only T+/flex fare.

4. I'm starting to feel like its game on for AC to test the market and see if people will pay up to get status sinc ehteir planes are pretty full these days.

25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada isn't selling the purported to exist lower fares on their own site even on dates the inventory is available. ITA isn't showing any S fares in the YTO-TYO market either. If they are published they definitely aren't in public systems.

The fact that LGA-NRT only had H as the Flex fare furthers the point that the existence of the inventory of the buckets doesn't mean the fares exist.

tomh009 likes this.