Status Matching on Star Alliance

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by tania11, Feb 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. I would really appreciate if someone could help me figure this out. As I live in Australia, Star Alliance is not possible for domestic travel so I am Qantas Gold (Oneworld Sapphire). However, I am just about to embark on the following journey in July. Other Star alliance flights on various carriers are sechuled for next year.

What I am aiming for is to get enough points to get a ticket from Brisbane to somewhere, most likely New Zealand, even if its only one way. The RTW journey has some 1 Qantas flight from SYD to Hong Kong which obviously won't get me Star Alliance points but the rest is:

Hong Kong to Milan via Zurich on Swiss Z Business Class
    Geneva to New York on Swiss Z Business Class
    JFK to Sydney on United ( one flight number 819 via SFO)

I also have two internal flights with Air Canada - Boston to Quebec City and Toronto to Chicago - all economy restricted. Later this year also oneway flight on Thai Singapore to Bangkok in Business

Two questions:

Which is the best airline to status match my Qantas Gold to, and what level will I be matched at?
    Which airline will get me the most points?

Thanks to anyone who has the time to provide this advice, I realise its a bit complex, and unfortunately I am not very good with these things.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

I believe you posted the same message in the newbie forum. Double posting will not make peope more willing to help you, quite the opposite.
    ohianjo and rwoman like this.
  3. Supersurge

Supersurge New Member

Status match with Star alliance is not always easy. From your query, it looks like you want the status benefits before the journet and the miles on completion of the trip which can be hard. What I would do is to join a *A member like Aagean which is easier to get to the gold status. With the miles you might earn from your upcoming trip you may get a Star gold from Aagean and the points can be redeemed on Air New Zealand.