Status Matching and Maximsing Points

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by tania11, Feb 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. I would really appreciate if someone could help me figure this out. As I live in Australia, Star Alliance is not possible for domestic travel so I am Qantas Gold (Oneworld Sapphire). However, I am just about to embark on the following journey in July. Other Star alliance flights on various carriers are sechuled for next year.

What I am aiming for is to get enough points to get a ticket from Brisbane to somewhere, most likely New Zealand, even if its only one way. The RTW journey has some 1 Qantas flight from SYD to Hong Kong which obviously won't get me Star Alliance points but the rest is:

Hong Kong to Milan via Zurich on Swiss Z Business Class
    Geneva to New York on Swiss Z Business Class
    JFK to Sydney on United ( one flight number 819 via SFO)

I also have two internal flights with Air Canada - Boston to Quebec City and Toronto to Chicago - all economy restricted. Later this year also oneway flight on Thai Singapore to Bangkok in Business

Two questions:

Which is the best airline to status match my Qantas Gold to, and what level will I be matched at?
    Which airline will get me the most points?

Thanks to anyone who has the time to provide this advice, I realise its a bit complex, and unfortunately I am not very good with these things.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

First of all, it's impossible to know how many miles you will earn for economy restricted without knowing the exact fare class.

Secondly, it's not just the number of miles earned that will matter. Different carriers can require different number of miles for the same award ticket.

Keep in mind that status matches tend to be once in a lifetime--yours or the airline's. Are you sure you want to do this now? Flying business class gets you many of the same privileges, the main example perhaps being use of SEN rather than business class lounges in Germany, Switzerland, and places like JFK with LH lounges.

You are asking someone to do far too much work for you to calculate the miles that would be earned from your travels using different FF programs, especially when you have not even looked up the point-to-point distances.
    Counsellor likes this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Here's a tool you can use to calculate the great circle (point-to-point) distances between the stops on your journey. You can enter your entire itinerary, push the button, and find out about how many miles you'll fly.

Since most Frequent Flyer programs base their mileage credit on great circle distances rather than actual distances flown, this should give you a rough idea of the number of miles you will go on your trip.

However, that is only the first step. As MSPeconomist points out, the number of miles you'll earn (whether toward status or toward a "free" ticket) is not always the number of miles you flew. Many programs give bonus miles for class of service purchased (e.g., for Y or B fares, Business Class, First Class), or give only partial credit (like 50% or even less) for deeply discounted fares. Additionally, if you have elite status, you may get bonus miles based on that status. Finally, some carriers offer additional bonus miles on certain routes.

Be careful, too, on the JFK to Sydney flight on United (one flight number 819 via SFO), since United has been known to give only direct (great circle) miles on flights with plane changes that carry the same number. In other words, instead of getting credit for the miles from JFK to SFO and SFO to SYD (i.e., 2580 + 7420 = 10,000 miles) United may only give you the 9940 miles reflecting the great circle distance from JFK to SYD. Not much difference on that particular routing, but it could be the difference between have just enough miles for a "free" flight and being short.

This may seem awfully complicated (and sometimes it is), but the first step is figuring out how many flight miles you're flying, and the tool at the link can help with that.
    Mr. Silver Springer likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

If you know the specific fare classes that you'll be in and you're thinking of crediting to UA, US, TP, ET, AC, A3, LH or BD or OZ then I recommend this calculator: It is loaded with the current earning rules from those programs and can help you discern the various class of service and status bonuses that come with the routes/fares flown.

I've got a similar one for redemption costs, too:
    Counsellor likes this.