Status Match

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by owenbrowntrout, Jul 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does Delta currently have a status match program? If you qualify now, after July 1, when does your status expire?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Interestingly the Delta website details status matches through June 30 only and I haven't heard reports from anyone requesting a match within the past two weeks.

https://www.delta.com/contactus/pag.../leisure_travel_program/statusmatch/index.jsp

One imagines that to the extent they'll still match, status would last through February 2015. But I do not know how they are handling things this month since the web description only talks about processing matches through June 30, 2013.

3. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm assisting someone else who may do a mid-tier DL status match from AA and can confirm that the website page has not been updated but DL is offering matches through Feb 2015 with the same 90 day challenge terms for each level. If I had to speculate perhaps the 2014 MQD requirement and the VS partnership is causing Delta some delay in officially stating the terms. If I had to speculate even further I would expect a dollar threshold in addition to a mileage requirement from both United and Delta in early 2014. If its ten cents a base mile you would need a $1600 and $2600 base mile spend for gold and platinum respectively in addition to the miles. This would be a 'bargain' compared to the $5000 and $7500 spend that gold and platinum Medallions will have to pay to maintain status. Indeed, this might be a reason to delay a match until the second half of next year when the herd will have been thinned and the status presumably would last until Feb 2016.

4. owenbrowntrout

Status Points:
    The status match opportunity is available only once in five years or in a lifetime, depending on the airline. It seems that the only way the airlines can keep track of people for this purpose is through their frequent flyer number. Therefore, it seems that one can do a status match more often simply by opening new frequent flyer accounts. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience whether this would work?

5. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the spirit of the kinder and gentler Milepoint forum: what you allude to is possible but best left unpublicized. It also does not help with acquiring million miler status and you may end up with orphan miles in older accounts along with a lot of other risks. From time to time, a particular airline may make an offer that can be better than a status challenge, such as AA's extended double elite qualifying miles last year or the Amex Membership Rewards 25K DL MQM transfer bonus back when Amex was losing Continental in 2011. I personally would hold off on Delta or UA and let their 'scorched earth' policies towards their low-spending elites play out in the market place, unless a move to a Delta or United hub is involved (which it is for the relative I was helping out with). A US Airways Chairman's status challenge late in the year might present an interesting shortcut to AA EXP status.

6. owenbrowntrout

Status Points:
    It is the third week of the month and Delta has not announced when status expires for a status match done after July 1. Or if there are any new requirements or conditions. have they overlooked this or simply don't care. I was intending to transition from United to Delta but I think my next mode of transportation will be Amtrak.

7. owenbrowntrout

Status Points:
    I spoke to a Delta agent on the phone today. She told me that the status match program ended on June 30. I was going to change my first choice of airline from Delta to United. Without the status match, I will be staying with United. Hasta la vista Delta.

8. owenbrowntrout

Status Points:
    Correction: I was going to switch from United to Delta. But not now without being able to status match.

9. owenbrowntrout

Status Points:
    Status Match is alive and well at Delta - here is an email I received today:

Hello,

We are in the process of updating the Elite Match Challenge, but yes -
    the program is still available.

If you enroll now - and complete the 90 day offer - your status will be
    valid through February 2015.

For additional information - please visit - www.delta.com/statusmatch

Sincerely,
    SC Chesna
    www.delta.com

10. greek2me

greek2me Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you meet the 8k/16k/26k MQM trial requirement via MQMs from CCs or must you fly?

11. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not interested. But its nice to know this offer exists. How about DL shed its skypesos image with competitive benefits*? Since I don't live in ATL ,MSP or DTW (and not bound by DL), we have choices.

*this would include awarding 100% (at a minimum) or 150% miles MQM for premium business class tickets booked on all Skyteam Carriers. Instead of just AF KL DL and a select few. That would be nice jesture. Until then.....we have choices.

Thanks.

12. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cannot see DL (or any other airline) not keeping a status match program. WHile the details may change, or the publicity given to the program, they are too easy away to get new elite customers to be done away with.

13. owenbrowntrout

Status Points:
    Qualification during the 90 day period requires that you FLY!!! I find miles next to useless. My primary motivation for switching as a United silver is that I can get economy comfort at time of booking for half off, and the potential exists for an upgrade.

14. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will say, Y+ is a great perk. I think AA is bring something like it back to their fleet as well, no?

15. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any idea what the turn around time is on this?