Status Match to Malaysian Enrich

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by kstewart10, Nov 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kstewart10
    Original Member

kstewart10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to be on a couple of Malaysian flights just two weeks before they switch to oneworld. The reservation was made long ago and if I could credit to oneworld airlines for the trip I would, but until they announce pre-joining mileage earning I am going to have orphan miles. Does anyone have a phone number or contact email for their Enrich program that would handle this? How about an elite line? Any help is greatly appreciated.

gleff likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I haven't ever tried matching with MH. However why would you have orphan miles? Can you credit to DL?

3. kstewart10
    Original Member

kstewart10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry Gary, I didn't see your response until now.

They would be orphan miles (or so I suspect) because I would imagine that DL will drop their partnership with MH some time before they join oneworld officially. Once MH is in OW I am more likely to credit to BA (Silver) or AA (for domestic upgrades), thus leaving 10-15k miles in an account with no way to redeem such a small amount, but no better place to put them.

As part of the latest RGN fare mistake, I have a pair of J tickets RGN-KUL-FRA on MH and FRA-YUL on AC Jan 20th, 2013. Optimally, there would have been some sort of partnership between the OW carriers and MH in the weeks prior to joining on Feb 1st, though if Air Berlin is an example this would be unlikely. If it were the case, I could start crediting to AA or BA, either of which I am happy to do. I would also be okay with crediting to DL, but my fear is that in the weeks prior to joining OW, Delta will discontinue their partnership. Thus, the only place to really credit that might make sense would be MH Enrich which would help me build some early 2013 OW status (once they join a week later), but as you have said yourself, MH redemptions (unless 50% off) are not really a very good deal.

My strategy was to find a status match to Enrich, prior to joining OW, then regardless of whether the other programs are "creditable" at the time of flying, I would still have status in enrich, build EQM towards re-qualification (I believe their requal. lasts 2 years) and also earn miles faster, thus enabling a quicker redemption and allowing me to burn them out of the program.

Does any of that make sense?

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well it's not obvious that there will be a period of no partnerships between DL *or* AA/BA. Of course we'll know soon enough!