Status Match/Challenge Question

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by PHLFlyer, Apr 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. PHLFlyer

PHLFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

Quick question here about status matches/challenges:

Hypothetically, let's say an airline/hotel was giving a status match/challenge without requiring elite status to start. I take them up on this, and am required to fly X number of miles or stay Y number of nights. My first question is, would you be allowed to have the perks of the elite status while you are qualifying during the status match? My second question is, what happens if I fail to meet the status match? Is it as simple as I lose the elite status? Or if I was trying to reach a lot of miles or nights stayed and didn't come close, would the airline/hotel not allow me status challenge again?

Thanks very much for any replies. Just curious about this

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the program.

Some programs say one challenge for the rest of your life; other have no restrictions.

Some programs will give you the status during your challenge, while other will not.

PHLFlyer and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Marriott will give you status immediately, but if you don't complete the challenge you will have to wait for another year to try again.

PHLFlyer and edekba like this.
  4. PHLFlyer

PHLFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies you two. Much appreciated. Happy to hear experiences from anyone else if they care to share.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    As others have said, it varies. Do you have a program in particular in mind?

edekba likes this.
  6. PHLFlyer

PHLFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    No, not particularly. Just a theoretical question I had come up with. If something comes up specifically though, I will be sure to reignite this thread with questions and details.