Status Match + Challenge.... is this doable?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Gaucho, Oct 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may be tooo creative, but I will ask anyway. Does anybody know if its possible to get AA to status match you and then allow you to sign up for, say, the Platinum Challenge...? Im thinking that it would be nice to make the run for Platinum under the Challenge situation while already earning the tier bonuses and being able to enjoy the advantages of AA Gold Status.

Thanks to the resident AA Gurus for your insight on this.....

2. artvndlay

artvndlay Active Member

Status Points:
    I've been thinking about a challenge so I've been doing quite a bit of reading about them. So I don't have any personal experience yet, but there is a lengthy thread on TOBB where there are multiple reports of individuals getting temporary gold during the challenge if they show status on another airline or some non-refundable bookings that qualify for the challenge or some combination of the two.

Maybe someone else with personal experience can chime in?

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before doing a status match or challenge, check whether it's a once in a lifetime deal.

Gaucho likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I did the Plat Challenge, they gave me Gold status (because of my DL status) to ease the blow of trying to make it from the ranks of a bottom feeder. Fortunately, I only had two flights as a Gold since I did an LHR-LAX run to earn the required EQP.

:)

5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point.... thanks.

6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess my issue is that my status is on another 1W carrier (LAN).... not sure if American will comp me to Gold Status for my LAN Premium status.