Status gift question

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Lou, Nov 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Lou

Lou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all. I'm a NYC based traveler with a need to get to SMF on a bi-weekly basis. I can depart EWR/LGA/JFK fairly equally. I have a relative with Platinum status who is willing to use his 2012 gift to get me Silver (valid through Feb 28, 2013).

My question is this - does that gift effectively grant me 25,000 MQMs, so that by earning 25,000 MQMs on my own I'd earn Gold? Or do I simply have Silver status but 0 MQMs and need to earn 50,000 to get Gold (which I'd hit by Feb 2013). If the former, this makes Delta an easy choice. If the later, I have some serious comparison shopping to do.

Unfortunately I have no status at this point. Travel has been light the last year.

2. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Status only-no MQMs.

3. Lou

Lou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks BamaGirl. I found a thread, and just lost it, where someone noted that I'll receive the benefits of Silver, but still have to earn 50,000 MQMs to reach Gold. It's a bummer for me, but I think it might still be worth taking advantage of whatever benefits I might be able to accrue (and in particular, the MQM bonus).

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the PM gift of FO status, whether it's good through the end of February 2013 or 2014 depends on the program year from which the benefit is earned. However, as answered above, either way, it does not include any MQMs.

5. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can find the benefits on the DL website. If you want to get MQMs, check to see if you can get MQMs by getting (or renewing) SC membership.

Also, some of the DL AMEX cards (Reserve, Biz Plat., etc) can get MQMs after a certain amount of money is charged to the card.

Dave

6. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only thing FO (silver) will get you is free bags and reduced pricing on economy comfort seats. If you fly LGA-SMF, that is ~5,000 MQM round trip. 5 trips would get you FO ($250 of bag fees).

I think it would make more sense to get a credit card (if only for 1 year, canceling before the fee kicks in) to get the free bags, and have your relative take the $200 eCredit.

7. Lou

Lou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all. I have travel coming up before the end of the year too, but not enough to reach Silver on my own. Since neither the gifted Silver nor basic status will permit those miles to roll over I'm left with planning my Jan/Feb schedule and making a decision based on that. I suspect I'll forgo the gift and just earn status on my own and let my relative cash out the award themselves. Thanks for all of the help.

Davescj likes this.