Status Conundrum

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ZCT, Dec 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ZCT

ZCT Silver Member

Status Points:
    This year I was living in Houston and flew out of IAH all the time, got Gold with StarAlliance and United but won't quite make it to Platinum.

My miles are all with United.

Now I've moved to MSP, which is a Delta hub, but oddly the last couple of business trips have been half the price on US Airways than they were on Delta, and Delta have been useless at following through with any kind of status match offer, despite my emailing them three times and calling them once. So frankly, I'm not even inclined to give them my business at this point.

I book my flights with my Corporate AmEx card for the double points, and when I book with US Airways I still get miles, bonus miles (for my Gold status), and segment credit, along with Zone 1 boarding access, free bag, priority luggage and priority at security. All good.

The problem is AmEx don't seem to have a good method of tracking my flight status. US Airways show no record of my flight, because I signed up for it with my United number in order to get proper credit.

What's worse is I can't pick or change seats until I get to the airport as US Airways don't see me as elite at all (on their web site).

I don't think airlines like to do status match between airlines in the same network.

So I was hoping for some good suggestions as to how to address this conundrum. I want to continue to take advantage of all my elite benefits, and ensure I maintain them for 2014. But I'd really like to be able to track my reservations via my iPhone, and be notified of delays etc.

JoeCortez, Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should track your flight with the carrier you're actually ticketing it through. If the actual ticketing airline is USAir, you're stuck because they don't have an iOS app. That said, why not get a free TripIt account? Trip it works wonderfully well.

Since your status is actually with United, even though you're Star Alliance Gold you don't have status with US, so there are no preferred seat assignment benefits (that's not a benefit of Star Gold). That's why you're not seen as elite - you're not.

You can, however, purchase US Air elite status at their web site and start at whatever level makes sense for you (vs. what you'll qualify for the rest of the year). Know that if you want US Air status, however, you'll have to credit the miles to US Air - you can't double dip and credit them to United.

You don't say how many UA miles you have - or how close to 1MM you are. That's important, too.

Last - know that US Air and American are pursuing a merger. That could change things for you, too.

3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mike is 100% correct. It is probably worth buying the status up front for the first year for the mileage bonus and upgrades, and then you should be qualifying every year assuming things stay the same through US. The nice thing on US is the ability to buy up the the level you want.

4. ZCT

ZCT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your input.

Frankly, I don't think I am willing to fork out $600 for status on US. So for now I'm just going to keep booking through American Express on US using my United loyalty number. I believe that provided I take at least one United flight a year, I'll still be able to maintain the miles and status which I can earn via Star Alliance.

I liked the idea of the of the Tripit app. And I am thinking of doing a 30 day trial on the pro. I'll hold off until the new year, because this week will be my last flying business trip until 2013.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need 4 segments on UA or Copa metal.

The free version is probably sufficient. I've been using it for several years now and swear by it. I haven't seen the value proposition of upgrading to the Pro yet.

edekba likes this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm not sure why you looked @ $600.00 for PLT when you're only UA Gold/*A Gold.To buy US Gold is $400.00

But yeah look @ what WA said.

7. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    could this buy up option be a short cut to AA status once the merger/takeover finalizes\/

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possibly... though any merger, if it happens, is a LONG way out. AA has to come out of BK, the M&A work has to be done, and THEN and ONLY THEN can schedules be made for integrating FF programs, flight schedules/numbers, common operating certificate, etc.

Given that there are already shortcuts to AA status, I'm not sure what you'd gain.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, they can integrate the FF programs well before flight schedules, operating certs and employees. But it is still a LONG gay down the horizon.

10. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have a US Dividend number you can use the PNR for the US flight from UA to give you access to select seats online. Like the others have said, US no longer recognizes non US *Gold members as getting priority seats on US.
    But this is how I get my seat assignments on US flights credited to my UA account.