Status confusion...

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Handleman20, Dec 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's an odd situation. For the last three years I have been listed as a gold-status water buffalo at Hilton. This in spite of the fact that I barely stayed there. Now, following the mileage run rule of "Never ever ever call the provider" I have never actually checked on why I seem to just be getting Gold Status for nothing.

My problem now is that I will be travelling rather extensively for business going forward and was going to hop properties every trip until I hit Diamond status... but I fear doing so as it may overwrite my somehow glitched perma-Gold membership. Thoughts?

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt you achieved Gold status by "luck" or even a glitch so I would not count on having it in perpetuity.
    In the past Gold status has been awarded by various credit cards.

If you want to find out when the current status ends just call in an ask... its highly unllikely a HH CSR will spot some kind of "glitch" and take it away.

3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is the difference between Gold and Diamond that great? Except for Diamond forces on reservations at facilities that are full, I'm not aware of anything.

DTWBOB

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this a rhetorical question? IMHO if your travel is International.... yes there is.

BTW HH is phasing out the Diamond Special request which in the past was available not just only for "full" properties.

5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Diamonds get lounge access even if they are not upgraded to executive rooms. For many properties, there really isn't that much difference between the actual standard room and executive room, so lounge access is the big benefit of being upgraded in those properties. Being diamond means you don't have to worry about the upgrade. Diamond also makes your upgrade chances better (or should).

6. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, HH is only phasing out Diamond Special Request on reward stays - you can still get it on paid stays.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    As one who is active in both SPG and HHonors, the difference between Gold and Diamond @ Hilton is less than Platinum and Gold @ SPG, primarily because for domestic US stays, Diamond has few significant benefits.

Lounge access? If the hotel has one, and for many of the Hilton family properties, that's a no.

Upgrades? Much fewer than I get with SPG.

Rewards? I accrue HHonors points faster and used to be able to use them before they went to this floating awards crap. SPG points were useful for chasing MM status on AA, but now that that's gone the flexibility to use them as SPG points or transfer them to airline miles (usually at 1:1) is nice.

I typically find SPG recognizes its members more, and I don't have to push for benefits - they just happen. That's made the difference for me in ensuring I qualify for SPG Plat first, and qualifying for HHonors Diamond on cc spend (note: I'm also an HGVC owner, which keeps me affiliated with HHonors anyway).

8. modernhaus

modernhaus Active Member

Status Points: