Starwood status match

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by The Mileage Millionaire, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. The Mileage Millionaire
    Original Member

The Mileage Millionaire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am currently a Hyatt Diamond member, and I would like to obtain a status match to Starwood's Platinum level. Is this possible? If so, what are the eligibility requirements and how do I request the status match?

Kalboz likes this.
  2. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just call your local Starwood Office. The will match it to a Platinum. the Status will be valid until 02/12. If you do it after 06/30/ of a year, you will get the status until 02/13.

Kalboz, kenbo and Mackieman like this.
  3. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that this is reputed to be a one time match, so the timing could be very important.

kenbo likes this.
  4. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I forgot to mention this.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. kokonutz
    Original Member

kokonutz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but if you want to do it again, just start a new Starwood account with your work address and email... ;)

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    Starwood will match platinum status from Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, and Marriott Platinum. Not only is this a once in a lifetime match, but you are also not eligible if you have been SPG Plat. before.

Email a copy of your card and latest statement to platinum.liaison@starwoodhotels.com or fax 512.997.9046.

Kalboz, kenbo, mrpickles and 2 others like this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Chris H is correct:

* Starwood official matches top tier to Platinum only, no Gold matches, but there are pletny of ways to get Gold easily and sometimes even just for the asking. [But Gold is really just Preferred Plus plus bonus points, or put a different way the key benefit of Gold is just 4pm checkout and not getting the worst room in the joint.]

* Starwood matches Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt status only. They do not match Priority Club or other programs.

* The match is once-in-a-lifetime. And in fact even if you have been a Platinum before, earned rather than via match, you are not eligible. They figure you've already 'tried' the status so no need to let you have a 'test drive' to see if you want to switch.

* The request is made by sending a copy of your competitor elite card and online statement either by fax to 512-997-9046 or email to platinum.liaison@starwoodhotels.com. [NOTE: Unlike the reply above, the email address is actually platinum.liaIson ... note the second I]

* The process can be time consuming. Starwood has fraud procedures in place where in the past at least they've managed to set up a process with competing hotel chains to verify your status. This really surprised me at first why would a competitor chain help Starwood to steal its best customers? I suppose they're all plagued with fraud and they believe that identifying fraud is worthwhile. I haven't kept up on this, but last I paid any attention Hilton and Hyatt procedures were in place but not Marriott. As a result Marriott matches were processed more quickly. Hilton and Hyatt were taking a month or so.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    You think they share data? In europe from Hyatt DIA to SPG Plat was only a week. We had to send the history of Hyatt stays for the recent year.

9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I know they share data, or at least they shared it. I haven't paid attention to the developments in this in a couple of years, but they actually had someone who interfaced with Hyatt, and Hyatt gave them details back as-needed. The odd thing is that I don't think Hyatt verified THEIR requests from Starwood Platinums with Starwood! Of course, Hyatt is no longer (currently) offering a tier match program. Too much fraud / photoshopped statements by ineligible folks.

10. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haytt has a nice fast track for LH HON's. But this would be off topic.

11. YVR-Flyer
    Original Member

YVR-Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any recent experiences on time taken to match from HH-Diamond? Looking at traveling in a week and SPG Plat would be nice!

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'd expect it to take far longer than a week.

13. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got Starwood Gold by charging $30,000 on the Starwood credit card. I'm not sure I'm getting any benefits from Gold though. It sounds like you need platinum to get any benefit.

14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Pretty much. Platinum is meaningful status with Starwood. Gold is how you avoid the really bad rooms and you do get 4pm checkout. Don't underestimate the value of that. Garanteed 4pm checkout is a benefit not broadly matched.

15. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great catch Gary! I've updated my original post.

16. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it is on availability only. I have asked many times and it has not made a difference.

Kalboz likes this.
  17. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    On availability at resort locations and designated conference properties/dates. Otherwise it is guaranteed. If you were denied 4pm checkout as a gold, worth opening a file with Starwood.

18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been denied several times. I have not opened files either. It is good to keep in mind that at crowded times many *W properties try to get Platinums out with everyone else. I try to accomodate them. they need the space.

19. DealHound
    Original Member

DealHound Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't imagine they are taking the time to verify credentials. Last week I emailed a request with a copy of Hyatt Diamond card and account history and got a positive reply in about an hour! I did NOT request any expedited processing, so I was shocked at the speedy turnaround.

Kalboz likes this.
  20. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does SPG require verification of activity from the last calendar year or the last year from the date you submit your request?

Kalboz likes this.
  21. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Last week I sent in a request to be matched from HHonors Diamond. Response was that it may take up to 30 days.

Kalboz likes this.