Starwood Properties Near Times Square

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by garyst16, Mar 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have read some terrible reviews about the Manhattan at Times Square Hotel and the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers. I checked out the Westin New York at Times Square but really don't want to pay $400/night for 5 nights! Any suggestions for a Platinum Preferred member that has never been to the Big Apple?

Any and all guidance will be greatly appreciated!

(BUR Regular from FlyerTalk)

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Try the W Times Square using the SPG50 rate. I got for $259 a night in mid June. I used a cert but 1000 points is worth it for 5 nights in my opinion. Check on http://www.awardpad.com to see what the SPG50 rate is for the dates you are going. Westin is about $229 I think.
    I agree both the Manhattan and Sheraton on 7th are bad locations.

jbcarioca, garyst16 and doc like this.
  3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Westin is a great location and a comfortable hotel. I have been there many times. Sra T stayed at the Sheraton once and hated it. If you are not set on staying in Times Square you may want to consider staying at Le Parker Meridien. Their rates are sometimes better. Depending on your dates you might be able to find a better deal.

jbcarioca and garyst16 like this.
  4. HomerJ
    Original Member

HomerJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    SNYH&T is good if u are travelling with more than 3 people.
    I have always gotten a suite u/g there (I'm Plat)...and you get b'fast in the lounge.
    Hotel is full of tourists and packaged tour groups from Asia, but its only about a 5 minute walk to the park and less to TS.

5. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree the Westin is a fine property and good location.
    FWIW, I meet here frquently.. Marquette bball team stayed here awhile back for the Big East Tourny at MSG. :)
    Keep trying as you may well find a better price and/or promo.
    Guess its not on the weekend at all? If you provide dates, folks can perhaps better help serve you.

6. Mileage Junky
    Original Member

Mileage Junky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoyed my stay last year at the W Times Square. A bit pricey but the atmosphere is cool...if you are into that kind of vibe. I also got a corporate discount rate through the company I work for. You may want to check that route if you can.

7. ben senise
    Original Member

ben senise Silver Member

Status Points:
    I managed to get a two and three night reservation (not five days straight) for well under $300/night using the various codes, i.e. Z3H, Z2H. They have offers and some depend on your arrival date. if you arrive on a thursday through saturday you should be able to do better than $400.

In fact, i had to call SPG and when the agent looked at my reservation he told me the best thing to do is to call. They will help you find the best rate. Maybe give them a shot?

garyst16 likes this.
  8. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thansk for all of the responses! I tried the awardpad link without any success for the Westin or the W Times Square. I have never used the awardpad link so I assume I type in the name of the hotel with SPG50 to obtain the discount? Westin is coming up at $422 and the W is $521. Needless to say, at these rates, I will most like move to the Hilton across from the Sheraton NYH&T.

Any other suggestions? BTW dates for my travel are 5/24-5/29

doc likes this.
  9. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    The W is excellent. Great seafood restaurant downstairs.

Never heard of this awardpad thing. A word of caution though - I tried it on a couple properties I stay at pretty well weekly, and the rates either don't come up, or are incorrect. I double checked this on the *wood site as well.

So don't put a lot of stock in it. As for SPG50 reates, I would recommend calling for the elusive rack rate.

Cheers,

doc and garyst16 like this.
  10. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the responses! Really appreciate the guidance!

11. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never had a problem with the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers. We have actually received some pretty amazing suite upgrades at that property.

The Manhattan at Times Square is a little tired and usually filled with hordes of team travelers of one sort or another.

We have stayed at the Westin and the "W" but neither especially thrilled us.

Our favorite is the Le Meridien and we got some really decent prices there for June.

12. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    For family travel, like when we are with our kids, we usually choose the Double Tree Suites at Times Square. Not a *wood property, but it works and it usually affordable.

BeachMiles and garyst16 like this.
  13. Mileage Junky
    Original Member

Mileage Junky Silver Member

Status Points:
    How about trying the Four Points or the Element? They are fairly close to Times Square.

garyst16 likes this.
  14. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another vote for the W. Stayed there last year for work. Good location and subway stop around the corner.

garyst16 likes this.
  15. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try the W on Lexington Ave. Also the Sheraton Times Square isn't too bad. Stay away from the Manhattan though. Most of the other W's, Union Square and Times Square will be expensive.

Want to stay in New Jersey and take a quick 5-10 min train to NYC. Stay at W Hoboken or Westin Jersey City

Skyvillager and garyst16 like this.
  16. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed recently at the Four Points Times Sq. and I thought it was quite nice. It's really next to the Port Authority, but really not that far off from Times Sq.

doc and garyst16 like this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at several *W but am at the Parker Meridien now. There are no amenities for Platinum, no lounge, no newspapers, they charge $2 for an 800 telephone call, no free breakfast, no turndown service, no checkout folio under the door. I usually get an upgrade to a Junior suite. All in all, I prefer the Sheraton Towers, even though it is huge and impersonal, or the 'W' or Tribeca properties.

The Parker does not run the restaurants, just leases the space to the operators. Zero gain there, but plentiful excellent choices are all around the hotel, so i really do not care about that.

I end out at the Parker because of convenience to my meetings at Carnegie Hall. You cannot get closer.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  18. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    **UPDATE ** My daughter and I stayed at the Westin Times Square and other than the very weak lounge food, the hotel was fine. The room was on the small side, but for NY, it was adequate. We were "upgraded" to the newly remodeled Artium Lounge rooms on the 11 floor. An upgrade at this hotel meant a 400 SF room as opposed to a 300 SF room. We had room 1114. The hotel is close to Times Square and all of the Broadway theaters so it is convenient for those activities, as well as close to a subway entrance.

I sincerely appreciate all of the information and advice shared on this board. You made making the decision on selecting a hotel much easier and less stressful! Thanks to all the MP'ers!

19. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I highly recommend the Sheraton New York Towers!

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. Pa Kettle
    Original Member

Pa Kettle Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL. If this were Flyertalk, you might be burned for being a heretic. :D

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have made some great improvements though. The renovated rooms are very nice and the new club lounge is amazing!

22. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL.. absolutley.. :)

Jslo likes this.