Starwood Promotion on Hotels.com site?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by TravelMusing, Jun 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am posting this, because I had a recent experience where I got a one night stay booked via hotels.com for Westin Trillium, and even though the rate I paid on Hotels.com was the same as the one shown on SPG's site. I was not credited a night's stay and I do not get any SPG points.

I am fine with that, since it was a mistake.

But what I am not fine is that now, I am seeing a banner on the Hotels.com site that mentions 30% off for Starwood properties. http://www.hotels.com/deals/ca_starwood0611/

This is very confusing, and misleading to travellers. If hotel stays booked via other portals will not get any recognition from SPG, please do not allow the Starwood brand promotions to be advertised on these third party vendor sites.

If these third party vendor sites are allowed to advertise under the Starwood brand, then SPG, please give us travellers the recognition under the program.

Kalboz, MX, jbcarioca and 1 other person like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with your concerns, but do understand why Starwoods will still want to promote their hotels via third party sites.

Here is a suggestion - could you use the sale to do price matches and still buy via SPG?

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is aimed at non-loyalty travelers - those who shop on price and don't care about points.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

4. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are not advertising the SPG program, they're advertising hotel rooms at discounted rates. You can book Starwood hotels on many different sites and some sites/rates will allow you to earn benefits and others don't. If you want to earn miles/points, book a rate that is eligible.

5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess they listened to you ... here is what I am getting now!

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Starwood is a hotel group. SPG is their loyalty program. I do not see a problem with advertising discounted rates for starwood properties, regardless of points earning eligibility.

Kalboz, TravelMusing and jbcarioca like this.
  7. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that Starwood is the loyalty group, the brand name of SPG.

The hotel groups are Sheraton, W, Westin, the Luxury Collection, ALoft, etc. If hotels.com is advertising 30% off rates for Sheraton, it should be stated clearly as Sheraton, rather than Starwood.

To me, Starwood is SPG, the program that represents all these different hotel brands.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Starwood Preferred Guest, SPG, is the loyalty program. Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide is the hospitality ownership and management organization that SPG is associated with. Sheraton, W, Weston, aLoft, Luxury Collection, etc. are all hotel brands managed by Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

The loyalty program, SPG, exists under the larger umbrella of Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

9. TravelMusing

TravelMusing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification.

Kalboz and mattsteg like this.