Starwood Preferred Guest overview

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by RicGarrido, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    Starwood Hotels consists of nine hotel brands and Starwood Vacation Ownership (timeshares):
    1. Sheraton Hotels, 395 hotels
    2. Westin Hotels, 176 hotels
    3. Four Points by Sheraton, 158 hotels
    4. Le Meridien, 100 hotels
    5. Luxury Collection, 75 hotels
    6. Aloft, 46 hotels
    7. W, 38 hotels
    8. St. Regis, 22 hotels
    9. Element, 9 hotels
    10. Starwood Vacation Ownership, 14 properties
    There are 1,041 hotels as of December 31, 2010.

Starwood Preferred Guest

SPG Hotel Award Categories and points needed for one free standard award night.
    Standard Awards have no blackout dates meaning if a standard room is available you can redeem points for a free night award. Standard Awards also offer 5th night free. You can redeem a five night hotel stay and only pay points for four nights.
    Category 1 and 2 weekend is defined as Friday and Saturday in most locations, except some Muslim countries where the weekend may be designated Thursday-Friday or Friday-Saturday.

SPG Cash & Points Awards

Cash & Points awards are capacity controlled nights and require a cash supplement, but only 40% points compared to the standard award rate. The 5th night free option does not apply to SPG Cash & Points awards. In most cases, but not all, the Cash & Points option will provide higher redemption value for your points.

• Category 1 = $25 + 1,200 points (available in U.S., Canada and Asia Pacific regions only)
    • Category 2 = $30 + 1,600 points (available in U.S., Canada and Asia Pacific regions only)
    • Category 3 = $45 + 2,800 points
    • Category 4 = $60 + 4,000 points
    • Category 5 = $90 + 4,800 points
    • Category 6 = $150 + 8,000 points
    • Category 7 = not available
    Points are not earned for the cash portion of a Cash & Points award. Elite stay credit is not earned on any award stay.

You may earn points for incidental spend charged to your room during an award stay.

SPG Nights & Flights Awards

These awards provide 50,000 airline miles with participating airline partners and five hotel nights. Nights & Flights are limited to only Category 3 and Category 4 hotels. The miles are deposited directly into a frequent flyer account and there is no need to redeem miles in conjunction with the hotel award stay.

Five hotel award nights + 50,000 airline miles
    • Category 3 = 60,000 points (32,000 points = 50,000 miles; 20% discount)
    • Category 4 = 70,000 points (30,000 points = 50,000 miles; 25% discount)
    Nights and Flights awards are equivalent to getting miles at a 20% or 25% discount from the normal rate of 40,000 points = 50,000 miles.

This is just a starter. I'll add more later.

*EDIT* Fixed bullet points. Simon

2. TheBilou
    Original Member

TheBilou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks RicGarrido!!!!!
    Dedicated and quick, love it!

3. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now I see that I can't edit the original post any longer. I think the thread title should be changed to "SPG Overview of Hotel Awards."

Also I tried a couple of times to edit the bullet points to be the same and the bullets in the post repeatedly shifted in a portion of the first set of hotel category awards when published on the page.

4. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

Also, at some point you will hit a status level which lets you edit old posts. There is already a request in to allow it during the beta phase.

5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's correct. We're working on a bunch of these features to make the software more user-friendly.

Ric, thanks for a great post to get things started. It won't take long to have a solid base of information with contributions like this.

6. snapper
    Original Member

snapper Active Member

Status Points:
    If you book a Starwood Hotel through Expedia, Travelocity, etc.. do you still collect Starpoints?

When going through the booking process on Expedia I did not see anywhere to enter SPG rewards number. The difference in rates for the same hotel and nights when booking on Expedia and directly through starwoodhotels.com was quite large - $200 per night vs $400.

7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    All monies spent on incidentals and paid directly to the Starwood property will earn you SPG points. Conversely, all money paid to a third party booking agent (Expedia as in this case) will not earn you any SPG points.

$200/night!!! WOW, that's a huge spread ... would you mind sharing with us which property is this?

8. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like a candidate for the best rate guarantee program:
    Does anyone have experience with this program?

9. snapper
    Original Member

snapper Active Member

Status Points:
    Sure, it's The Westin Osaka, for the dates 10/05/11 - 10/07/11 and booking through Starwood cheapest available room is 37,000 JPY/night and through Expedia it is 17,000 JPY/night. The room type is different between the two - Luxury room on starwood, Superior twin on Expedia. That likely makes up for the price difference, just wish they would show the Superior as availabe on the Starwood site.

10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    peteropny has filed a successful BRG claim with SPG recently.

11. TheBilou
    Original Member

TheBilou Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did too back in October. Filed it and had a personal email from a rep in the BRG department within 24 hours. Really flexible, too, gave me a rez number and lots of time for me to confirm. Didn't have to pre-pay or anything.

12. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also have generally had great experiences with the BRG program. I am 2 for 3 so far this year and have saved about $50 for each reservation. I have used hotelscombined.com to look for competing rates.

** Update 3/28 **
    Now 3 for 3 after filing a second claim for the same hotel/date and working with someone who was very helpful. The rate is $120 lower plus 2000 Starpoints.