Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG)Award Nights Count Contest on FB

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by canucklehead, Oct 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your new member benefit deserves a celebration.

Now that SPG® Award stays and eligible nights earn credit toward elite status, we’re giving some away each day this week. Be the first to correctly identify this resort ____ and win two Free Resort Night Awards. Learn more about the new benefit.

From the T&C -
    PROMOTION PERIOD. The Giveaway begins at 11:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time on October 3, 2011 and ends at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on October 14, 2011 (the "Giveaway Period"). Entries submitted prior to or after the Giveaway Period will be disqualified. One (1) entry can be made each business day within the Giveaway Period on or after the daily question has been posted and before the next day’s question is posted.

5. PARTICIPATION: No purchase or hotel stay is required to win. You must be a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest® loyalty program to claim a prize. Membership in the Starwood Preferred Guest program is free. Visit spg.com or call 888-625-4988 to join. All promotions associated with the Starwood Preferred Guest program are subject to the terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, which are subject to change without notice. Full terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program are found at www.spg.com/t&c.

6. TO ENTER: Visit http://www.facebook.com/SPG and be the first (1) person to correctly identify the hotel or resort shown for that day (posted daily between 11:00 and 11:59 a.m. Eastern Standard Time) on the http://www.facebook.com/SPG Giveaway contest tab.

7. THE GIVEAWAY: Each day during the Giveaway Period, Sponsor will post a photo of a top redemption hotel or resort that participates in the SPG program and the first member to correctly identify the hotel or resort in question via Facebook post will win.

2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    jd623 and Quasiconvexity like this.
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Free resort night certificates are redeemable for stays up until 12/21/11, same as the free Resort nights that were earned this summer, and the free 4Square Resort night giveaways.

I assume the $1250 is the cost of the rack rate for the most expensive Resort hotel. IIRC, there was a contest earlier this year that valued the room/night around that amount.

JohnDeere19 and Quasiconvexity like this.
  4. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if it is also SPG's valuation for 40K points (2 free nights up to Cat 6) which they may consider as the equivalent of two FRNs, as these are redeemable at any property up to Cat 6 (with one exception). That would put it at just over 3 c a point.

JohnDeere19 and canucklehead like this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd prefer the points if that were the case. I'm surprised that they only give ~2 months for you to utilize this and they estimate the prize that highly...seems like I'll pass if I win unless I really need it.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In extreme cases, the taxes on the prize could exceed the room rate or even the rack rate for the resort nights if one were to choose either a low category resort or dates with very good availability (for a high income tax rate individual). However, I think most of us do try to redeem our free resort rates in high category properties, even if doing so requires some flexibility and effort.

OTOH, "my" resort is getting a revenue night from me that they otherwise would not, plus probably some meal and miscellaneous charges. I'm also likely to stay a night at an airport SPG hotel in association with my resort trip.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Humm.
    So possibility of taxes on prize exceeding the value of the prize itself; short time frame to redeem prize; and use of Facebook for the contest(Not everyone is on Facebook or wants to use it for commercial purposes!!)!
    I think I'm going to skip... :rolleyes:

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I will pass on this. Too short a time frame.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  9. jd623

jd623 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You also have to be the first one to respond correctly, so you really need to be on top of it everyday and refreshing like crazy.