Starwood 'missing in action' at Frequent Travel Awards

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by dhammer53, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dear Starwood,

Many of us were sorry to see that you were passed over in multiple categories, at the FT Awards held last evening Citi Field in NYC. A once great award winning program was left out in the cold this year. How could Priority Club, Marriott, and Hyatt take so many honors?

A few of us were discussing this. We came to the conclusion that the winning programs have stepped up over the years. The only problem with *wood is that they rested on their laurels. It's a shame really, as SPG has a wonderful program. I wish they would have been looking over their shoulder as the competition went galloping past.

I can only imagine the conversation/embarrassment that was experienced last night by those in attendance.

dh

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    In our opinion and experiences HYATT has the best reward // status program.
    But that's just us! The others can't be wrong either!;)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  3. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    And Delta got the award for best FF programs redemptions .

Seriously.

MSPeconomist, sdcarver and TRAVELSIG like this.
  4. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scary stuff. I was a pretty dedicated Marriott guy, but feel *wood is so much better. The SPG properties are really nice, nicer than Marriott or Hilton or Hyatt IMHO. Just IMHO though, YMMV.

Alas...Delta? redemptions? was it a joke? If it is true, I gotta kinda just toss all results. It is such an outlier data point that the only conclusion to draw is that the process is so flawed, it is null. ;)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  5. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta got the best Redemption PROMO. I don't know what it was, but the competition was pretty light when they won it last year as well.

Did SPG send out any e-mails asking people to vote? I know I got one from Marriott. Generally elite members will be satisfied with their program so getting them to vote will boost your results. The way that the votes are tabulated can also be manipulated by a fairly small number of people considering that there were over million voters.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  6. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't remember any emails from SPG asking us to vote for them this year. I too find it very hard to believe Delta Sky Pesos won best FF award redemptions???

sdcarver

MSPeconomist likes this.
  7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Redemptions being the key word here. Nonetheless, it was a win for Delta, and the room was buzzing.

SC Flier and MSPeconomist like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, they didn't. They won for best redemption promotion, specifically for the removal of most fees on award tickets. Not really a promo IMO since it was a policy change rather than a one-time offering, but certainly also not the award for the best redemption ability of their points. That award went to Aeroplan.

MSPeconomist and ralfkrippner like this.
  9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    (What I said elsewhere...)
    I don't disagree with why they didn't win, but as a company, if they are at x% profitability, and see that promo A, B, C, and D are going to likely cost $Y and bring in less than $Y in revenue - with likely a fair amount of displeasure from some of the member hotels, I can see why the bonuses may have been meager. YTD, I have 0 SPG stays - I think this may be a record for so late, no stays. Mostly it is because of a lack of travel this year. But I did make a couple of reservations that I cancelled because of Priority Club promotions. The amount of Priority Club promo points (which go to status, too) that I've received in the past six months border on the obscene, and in the long run, it is unsustainable. My last stay capped out two concurrent bonuses, the hotel gave me an extra 1K as a bonus for status (not a general program perk), and using the credit card has another promo going on - over 10K PP points for a $149 stay.

But what does all that get me? If I stay at an IC, I get essentially no perks, I am severely limited in points earning, etc etc. When I stay at a top end SPG property as a Platinum, I generally have a superior experience. The short time I was a gold during the life of the SPG program, I still had a 4pm checkout without issue. That is worth a lot.

Life is a giant balancing test.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's off topic here, but I believe the reason DL won last year was their early summer one mile to upgrade to TATL business class (BE) on expensive fare classes.

sdcarver likes this.
  11. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    that was a great promotion in 2009 and it was also for TPAC BE trips. It was before the price got really jacked up... I took advantage of that offer for a dive trip to Philippines. :)

12. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can I put a theory out there? Out of the major programs, SPG has the fewest total hotels, which act as the points of distribution. I would have to guess that there are fewer SPG members, as well. The more votes there are, the more you are likely to get people who vote for the programs that they belong to. Sounds like Marriott won, not because they have the best program, but because they have the most members.

Mike

13. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mike,

How would you explain Starwoods wins over the years?

SC Flier likes this.
  14. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fair point.

But Marriott, seriously? That's like saying Delta has the best FF program.

Mike

15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Marriott Cat 5 5 night reward however is still one of the best deals in the entire hotel points system for any group.