Starwood Luxury Privileges Program

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by Linda Terrill, Jul 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Linda Terrill
    Original Member

Linda Terrill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Virtuoso, Four Seasons Preferred Partner, and Dorchester Diamond benefits are provided by select elite travel agencies and include upgrades (when available, and sometimes at time of booking), free breakfasts, and value-added amenities (such as food and beverage credits, spa credits or welcome gifts) at many of the finest hotels in the world.

Starwood has now invited 20 exclusive agencies to help implement their own amenities program that includes all their St. Regis, Luxury Collection, and W Hotel properties. Many of these properties were already part of the Virtuoso amenities program, but Starwood Luxury Privileges gives these elite agencies an opportunity to expand the benefits they offer clients.

Amenities for the Starwood Luxury Privilege Program include:
    • Upgrade on arrival, if available
    • Daily breakfast for two guests
    • Early check-in and late check-out, if available
    • Value-added welcome amenity
    Rates are based on Best Available Flexible Rate and are not combinable with promotions.

Starwood Luxury Privileges Program list of properties and amenities.

2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    So limited value for platinums? Only extra is an amenity - which in the case of a hotel I am about to book is worth FAR less than the difference btwn the promotional rates available and the BAR rate - but if I was only staying 1 night it might actually be be worthwhile. Do these booking count toward status, etc?

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  3. Linda Terrill
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, bookings count toward status, and benefits are offered for best available flexible (non-promotional) rates.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The breakfast amenity saves 500 points per stay for a SPG Plat.

How Luxury Privileges clients prioritized for upgrades relative to SPG Plats and above? Can Luxuty Privileges result in an upgrade to a select standard suite or is is only one room category for instance?

In fact, for properties that participate in both, how does this compare to FHR benefits that do guarantee the late checkout and also provide breakfast for two and a special amenity at each property?

5. Linda Terrill
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The programs are similar in nature, although each hotel's added-value amenity is somewhat different based on the program. A good example of a difference in another benefits program is the Four Seasons Preferred Partner and FHR amenities. FSPP offers a full American breakfast including buffets whereas FHR is usually continental breakfast. Most importantly, all the luxury hotel benefit programs (e.g., Virtuoso, Starwood Luxury Privilege, Ritz-Carlton STARS, Dorchester Diamond) are available to clients who are not Amex Platinum.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  6. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    So how can I sign up for the above?

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's no signing up, it's a benefit for booking through Virtuoso. You can just drop Linda a line lindaterrill (at) theluxurytravelgroup.com and let her know what you want. They'll generally do some legwork for you and send you the details and even book on your behalf.

I've used them every now and then and it's a fantastic service.

theBOAT likes this.
  8. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not quite sure if I understand completely. I am SPG P now. Will this take away some of the benefits I enjoy now? What are the benefits/disadvantages of booking through the SPG website/SPG app compared to Virtuoso?

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, there is no downside. I'm with IHG and stayed at the Willard on a Virtuoso booking through Linda and everything went perfectly. I received credit for the stay, plus the Virtuoso amenities (breakfast for 2 daily and $100 food/beverage credit for the stay). The rate wasn't that much higher than the standard BAR and I had absolutely no problems.

Even if the property is not on the list (I booked the Alexandra resort in Turks & Caicos earlier this year through them) they can still book on your behalf. Sometimes you do it just to have someone arrange everything for you (like airport transfers or whatever) and sometimes you make use of the benefits that they extend through Virtuoso.

There are some cases when you'll have to book a specific rate to get the benefits, but most of the time that's not far from the lowest rate anyway, or the benefits that you get actually make it worthwhile -- say for example that the rate was $20 more a night but you'd get daily breakfast and a spa credit or something.

But there's no compromise to make so you can easily just follow up with them and find out. I had the same issue at first and now Linda is my go-to person when I need to book something and don't want to do it myself... :) Just tell her you got her info from me on milepoint and ask her if she can look into whatever reservations you're looking for and what kind of benefits you would get.

Enjoy :)

IDGflygirl likes this.
  10. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the helpful and informative advise! Much appreciated. I will check it out in some near future travels.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There still is no answer to the question of whether this program will adversely affect SPG Plats. Specifically, if there is one person who is not a SPG elite but booked through Luxury Privileges and one person who is SPG Plat and booked through Starwood, who would get the one available suite upgrade? Plats get a guaranteed 4 pm checkout, so there's no competition on that, although is this guaranteed benefit given to Plats on Luxury Privileges bookings?

It sounds like the amenity is closer to FHR amenities than the welcome amenity that SPG Plats can pick in lieu of 500 points or continental breakfast. OTOH, Luxury Privileges requires pretty high rates.

I assume that Starwood properties that participate in FHR will continue to do so.

viguera and uggboy like this.
  12. Linda Terrill
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You don't "sign up". You just call an agent who is part of the Starwood Luxury Privileges Collection program and make your reservation directly with him or her. (disclosure - I am an agent and part of the program and am accepting new clients). The same holds true for Four Seasons Preferred Partner and Virtuoso hotel benefits.

viguera likes this.
  13. that's true because its impossible to negotiate with the four seasons any form of discount even for 19 days :mad: