Starwood Concedes That Sheraton Is a Tired Brand

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by uggboy, May 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Starwood Concedes That Sheraton Is a Tired Brand

Sheraton IMHO needs an overhaul, rebranding and new innovative signatures to be/stay relevant. We found Sheraton hotels tired, too expensive for what they offer, plus service was "so-so" and their prices for eating "in" are too expensive, plus their menus aren't in tune with what people want and when they wanted. Sheraton needs so much more than another marketing campaign, they need an urgent rethink for what they stand for, which guests they want to attract and how they want to deliver a "superior" and "iconic" hotel product in the first place, this all is a little bit lost IMHO right now with this brand.

tondoleo, anileze, WilliamQ and 2 others like this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    When Aron says marketing I don't think he means messaging. Having just interviewed him on Thursday, I'm pretty sure that marketing to him means product investment... giving people what they want to make them feel good about the brand.

anileze and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, the Sheraton brand needs an complete overhaul, it's tired, it doesn't deliver on their own brand promises, it doesn't feel very special nor iconic anymore. They must reignite this shine of being a hotel brand which is relevant, which delivers to their guests what they want, when they want, without being pretentious which they are right now, but then, this could be said about Starwood as a company too, not just about the Sheraton brand.

tondoleo likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The former CEO's focus was luxury across the board, so perhaps that's where the sense of pretentiousness comes from, though I don't get that from the Sheraton brand at least outside of Asia where there's consistent quality. You get a good bed with Sheraton - the Sweet Sleeper is excellent. But beyond that the brand doesn't come with any set of clear expectations in North America, clearly Starwood realizes that.

Counsellor, anileze and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this focus solely on luxury was a bit too pretentious indeed, but in regards to the Sheraton brand it's a bit odd that such chains like Starwood speak and sell their brands to be consistent around the world and yet some regions like Asia are offering clearly a superior product within the same brand like Sheraton, this IMHO defeats the purpose to offer "brand standards across the board", it's sad enough that Starwood overall has lost touch a bit with their guests as they think way too much about marketing, their hotel owners and how to woo people with the latest "innovations" without really thinking about "real" guests on the ground in their hotels and Sheraton is a typical example how marketing and reality couldn't be further from the truth, sometimes the ads Starwood presents through diversified channels around the world feel like night and day in regards the real hotel products they offering right now, that's the same with their SPG program, it's cluttered, it's outmoded and this is reflected in the company itself incl. their Sheraton hotels which offer brand standards which can be defined as having the same good bedding solutions, but adding nothing more to the guest stay experience. That's a sad indictment IMHO and it's true we both know this. A 360 degress refresh is needed for this iconic brand, as I mentioned above, this could be said about Starwood itself and incl. their SPG rewards program too.

tondoleo likes this.
  6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember, in the not too distant past, choosing Sheraton while on the road because they'd have a "Sheraton Link," and I wouldn't have to go find an internet cafe. :p

chrislacey and uggboy like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If Starwood wants to emphasize their supposed brand conssistency, they should publish at least the basic outline of their brand standards so that potential customeers can knoow what to expect.

anileze and uggboy like this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This would be of course a good start, but IMHO Starwood needs a "real" overhaul incl. their properties, their perception, value, SPG reward program and more. To know what a guest gets would be only the beginning, they should also begin to communicate better what the guest not only can expect within "each brand" but also take better care once the guest has checked into a Starwood hotel in terms of "on the ground services", which makes or brakes hospitality IMHO.

MSPeconomist, tondoleo and anileze like this.
  9. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I first stayed at Sheratons in Asia.
    They were nice...
    And then I tried a Sheraton in US.
    Thought that must have been some horrible mistake.
    Tried another Sheraton in US...
    Same disappointment...
    In US, my Hampton Inns (HHonors) stays are usually better than my Sheratons which is sad.

uggboy, sendaiben and anileze like this.
  10. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sheratons outside the USA have similar inconsistencies :eek:

dishounorable mention to the Sheratons in Dubai-Deira, Luxor, Egypt, former Sana'a location and Sharm el Sheikh, all rather third world products IMO

11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am going to be a little contrarian here. If Aron thinks that prices for "eating in are too expensive" That seems to be a quick and easy fix--revamp the menu and cut prices. I like Sheratons even though my experience is limited to Domestic US. The ones that I have stayed in have been fine, albeit they do seem dated. But they provide a "Hotel Experience" that is dependable. Unlike W or Westin, or Four Points, or Aloft, or Element or any others in the brand. W is pretentious and has pretentious staff (IMHO). Westin is a somewhat fancier Sheraton. but not majorly different other than the name. Four Points seem to be disappearing in favor of Aloft and Element which are trying to be W-Lite. If Aron wants to do something to "kick-start" Sheraton or Starwood, maybe they should focus on the customer. Provide free Wi-Fi for everyone. Have Executive Level Clubs open on Weekends. Make Sheraton/Starwood the Hotel of Choice rather than just another boutique hotel.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  12. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 to the dislike of W and Aloft.

Much prefer Sheraton/Westin/Meridien (although I do stay mostly in Asia so am probably seeing the 'best of the brand'). Just finished a very nice stay at the Sheraton Grande in Taipei. Review coming soon, but great staff, great service, good facilities. Exactly the reason I'm happy to be an SPG Plat :)

MSPeconomist, Mapsmith and Thomask like this.
  13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like Westin for their Green Tea bath stuff. :) The beds/showers are inconsistent.

Out of all the SPG brands I prefer Westin/LeMe/Luxury Collection/Aloft. Like everyone else ... W are meh. Some of the 4P i swear are just a little bit better than a motel6 :(

MSPeconomist likes this.
  14. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lack of consistency from property to property in the quality of the product has long been a problem with Sheratons, at least in my experience. This is particularly true in Africa, but also somewhat in Europe and the US.

MSPeconomist likes this.