Starwood Best Rate Guarantee- Do they ever honor a best rate??

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MLW20, Aug 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone had luck with SPG honoring a best rate guarantee claim?

I put in a claim but was turned down. The lower rate was found on AA.com but they said it did not qualify since AA limits their offers to North America residents. To me this sounds like a bogus reason to not honor a much lower rate that was found.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a SPG forum, which may have more relevant threads to see.

In my own experiences, the BRG program is absolutely fantastic. Once you learn the (few) quirks [e.g. you have to compare both the pre-tax and post-tax rates, so for that reason priceline works far easier than expedia], it's very easy and consistently honored. And you don't even need to make a booking to make a claim, nor commit to a nonrefundable stay.

Haven't tried using aa.com, but if you can find a better rate elsewhere, you shouldn't have any trouble finding one on a dozen other websites.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe AAvacations does the hotel bookings and you are actually dealing with a travel agency, not the airline itself.
    I bet if you find the name of the agency and get a quote from them directly, that might work.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did put the claim in before booking. Starwood said that AA.com is a third party site that is only open to North America bookings. Due to it excluding other customers around the world, it would not be fair to match???

The prices were not even close. AA price was $92 + tax = $105, Starwood was $169 before tax!

Kalboz likes this.
  5. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had SPG honor best-rates a few times now. They are quirky, but it does work.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    call back and try again.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used SPG BRG many times, all worked out pretty well.

Extra 2000 *points are so sweet!;)

Kalboz likes this.
  8. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    A buddy of mine gets them all the time. I can't remember the last time he said he was denied.

tigerwong and Kalboz like this.
  9. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, you can get BRG points without staying?

Kalboz likes this.
  10. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, he meant to say that you can submit the BRG request first and then go ahead and book it. Otherwise, you would have to commit yourself to nonrefundable booking running the risk of BRG request not being approved. In many cases, the only reason I chose SPG over others is the extra 2k points.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. danny
    Original Member

danny Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems like getting SPG to honor a BRG request is harder than getting out of a traffic ticket. 90% of the time you're slapped in the face with a BS statement and the rest of the time you get an good CSR or one that doesn't care and just gives it to you.

Kalboz likes this.
  12. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    In SPG terminology, claim is an offer to match the rate with whatever bonus (2k or the 10%). You can get approval for your BRG before making any booking, and once you do have it, you can book a fully refundable stay (and get the BRG rate + bonus when you stay).

Kalboz and DeltaExpert like this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Albeit not SPG's ... here is what was posted today by The BRG Blog!
    [​IMG]

uggboy likes this.
  14. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got lucky today and got one approved:)

Kalboz likes this.
  15. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used this once about 4 years ago. It was a savings of about 20%, and I was very glad they honored it.

I was denied once 2 years ago as the lower rate I found was on another starwood site- note in this case the BRG doesn't work. I did email the hotel (the Royal Meridien in Bangkok) and they adjusted the rate by email/manually.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. I've got BRG rate honor few times. I think they are one of best BRG among other chains. 2K bonus is really sweet. :)

Quasiconvexity and Kalboz like this.
  17. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    The BRG program at SPG is awesome. Once you understand the rules well (e.g. not comparing breakfast-inclusive rates to room-only rates), I have found that I have had great success in getting my requests approved. One really nice feature is that the BRG is approved when a particular room type is unavailable on SPG.com but is available on a third-party website. Same holds if there are no rooms available on SPG.com but rooms are still being sold on other sites. In situations like these, other programs (e.g. Hyatt) turn you down but the SPG Best Rate Guarantee program works. I have found the BRG program at Hyatt to be frustrating and the reps seem to deny claims for very flimsy reasons.

Kalboz likes this.
  18. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any sort of service guarantee on the 48 hours to process a claim?

I recently (well 46 hours ago) lodged my first ever claim and still haven't heard back; in the interim the "number of available rooms" listed on the third party booking site continues to drop. :(

I've never bothered with looking at rates outside of spg.com, always assuming it would be cheapest - but seeing a rate 80 euro a night cheaper on another site makes me wonder how much money I've wasted over the years.

Kalboz likes this.
  19. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG does it much better than a few others. 2 common reasons why i got rejected - 1) they misread something, 2) the difference is within 1USD and its at a property outside of the US so it may well be forex differences (i dont know if i can push on that as i never did)
    still, they do not pull the 1) trick all too often. once in the 7-8 times i've claimed it perhaps?
    and even the BRG rate is cancellable!

Quasiconvexity and Kalboz like this.
  20. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well it took well over 48 hours but my first ever claim has resulted in success - my 209 euro room is now 109 euro. I guess the only thing now is to wait and see what "special" room the hotel assigns me as retribution!

Kalboz and MSPeconomist like this.
  21. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten BRGs all the time. It's been a nice way to boost my balance (given that I am a Gold and don't have a SPG Amex).

Kalboz and Quasiconvexity like this.
  22. dc_traveler
    Original Member

dc_traveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also have had a fair amount of success getting BRGs though it has become a lot lot harder in recent months.

Kalboz likes this.
  23. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    I try to get BRG all the time when staying, I'd say I'll find one about 60% of the time (according to this year). Which isn't bad. Even if it is just off by 1 dollar, they'll honor it and give you 2000 points :)

Kalboz likes this.
  24. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would understand if there was a clear & valid reason for denial of a BRG claim.

What I can't abide is when the denial has no basis other than fictional T&Cs that can't be sourced.

I questioned a recent denial that claimed the site where the lower rate was found was not fully accessible to the public.

When I then explained aa.com & the rate found is fully public, SPG switched gears & concocted a whole new excuse about that site requiring US credit cards???

Of course, it doesn't matter that the aa.com website has no such restriction.

oyyyyyy

Kalboz likes this.
  25. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I've finished my Plat requalification and satisfied all of my needs for US Airways Grand Slam stays, I thought that I'd be able to stop hopping back and forth among hotels. But no, not anymore.

The prices just dropped again on hotels.com for one of my frequent hotels, so I just submitted 5 BRG claims for my next couple of trips. The BRG bonuses are too tempting to resist, and I'll save my client an average of about $30 per night with the lower prices.

Kalboz likes this.