Startup airlines seek to offer 'a better way'

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by sobore, Apr 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42756330/ns/travel-travel_tips/

At 90 years old, Ted Vallas is hardly the new kid on the airline startup block. Having caught the flying bug during World War II, he went on to found several aviation businesses, including Air Resorts, which offered chartered and scheduled service from San Diego between 1980 and 1997.
    Today, he’s the founder and CEO of California Pacific Airlines, which is currently in the process of pursuing FAA certification and, according to Vallas, planning to have “wheels up” by early 2012.
    Everybody talks about the deplorable state of air travel, but Vallas' California Pacific and other startup airlines are hoping do something about it.

Horse and Scottrick like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their business plan sounds exactly like Southwest (at least in the early days), which is a bit ironic since he describes them as his chief competitor. If he succeeds, things will not be so uncrowded anymore. Except he plans to do it all with regional jets, which people mostly hate. I can see this working for short flights where I don't want to mess with traveling 30 miles to the major airports just to get on a plane and then fly over my house. But I would be surprised if people were willing to use it to fly much further than, say, LAS.

"California Pacific Airlines: Based at McClellan-Palomar Airport in Carlsbad, Calif., California Pacific plans to provide point-to-point service to several southwestern cities while offering a low-cost, crowd-free alternative to San Diego International Airport."

sobore likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a couple of possibly important items related to that.
    1) Some number of people book on price alone with no idea of equipment.
    2) Embraer 170s are actually pretty nice - Delta's 70 seat configuration has the widest coach seats in their fleet. A notable step up from the CRJs.

Scottrick likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree they aren't so bad, depending on which model is used. In fact, I really enjoy flying on UA's explus service. The upgrades are easier to come by, and the F cabin is less full.