Starting the long climb again...

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by Geo, Jun 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    From 2000 through 2009 I was solidly Marriott. Staying sometimes 120 nights a year, even achieving 75 nights on a year where I was "housed" in an apartment in Den Haag full time. They changed though in 2009 with significant devaluation of the points I hadn't had a chance to use (too busy earning). That, their price increases relative to other options (sometimes double), and not having a plethora of non-east coast Australia locations led me to switch over to Hyatt and Hilton.

But... my wife's been using my points to stay in Soho with her sister (yes, it is her sister:)) and now she doesn't want to stay anyplace else. So here I am clawing my way back up to status (never lost silver due to the card). I tell you, it is tough without the lounge access. I even paid for it myself last week in SIN.

uggboy likes this.
  2. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suggest a status match for platinum if your planning to stay more than 19 days this year.

3. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's how Hyatt got me over there.

4. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second the poster's suggestion of a status match request, or they may offer you a challenge of some type.

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you had ten years at up to 120 nights per year, you may be near the 800 nights you need for lifetime Gold (also need 12 years in the program and 1.6 million points earned including bonus points) and that would get you back in the concierge lounges. You might want to call Marriot Rewards customer care and ask how close you are (could do that at the same time you inquire about a status match or accellerated Gold challenge).

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    10 X 120 = 1,200 > 800, so nights cannot be a problem for lifetime status. The OP should be also OK for twelve years in the program, starting in 2000, so he/she needs to call Marriott and check lifetime points.

7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    "up to" doesn't necessarily mean "equals" (remember that famous old advertizer's come-on of "save up to 50%" when actual savings are only 7%) just "not more than", so 10 years at "up to 120 nights" may not quite make the 800 nights. Similarly, "2000 to date" may not yet equate to 12 years, if the initial date in 2000 was in the latter part of the year. That's why I suggested he call Marriott Rewards and ask how close he is (meaning in all criteria).

I agree he should be close to the LT Gold, and perhaps may already be over it.